Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boggle your mind

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    try this.

directions-try to read aloud these colors in which these words are printed, rather than the words themselves-and read them fast :biggrin: :

How'd you do??? :tongue2:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2

When I first read what you wrote I thought it would be easy to say the colour and not the word, but it isn't tso much.

It's quite hard: specially when I've had the inverse (example: blue colour green writen-greene colour blue written).
  4. May 14, 2005 #3
    i thought so too :smile: !

Most people stumble quickly, as they confuse the color of the print with the meaning of the word. This exercise underscores the intricate interaction between perception and interpretation. :rolleyes:
  5. May 14, 2005 #4
    that's one fun.
    it is easy if your mother toung is not english and you read the colour in your mother language.
  6. May 14, 2005 #5
    true, true
  7. May 14, 2005 #6
    You probably won't believe it, but lady did this illusion at my school and a 4 year old girl
    was in the class. She stood up and did it perfect!
    Want to know why? It was b/c she could't read!!!!
  8. May 14, 2005 #7
    Funny, I read all of them the first time and though that was not hard, but then I realized I read the directions wrong and had to say what the colour of the type was and found it very difficult to do.
  9. May 14, 2005 #8
    Just look at the last letter when you read them. It simplifies things greatly.
  10. May 14, 2005 #9
    yeah your theory really explains it in a different way. :smile:
  11. May 14, 2005 #10

Gold Member

The reason this is so difficult is because the act of reading happens so automatically, it is almost impossible to turn it off.
  12. May 14, 2005 #11
    yeah awesome research!
  13. May 14, 2005 #12
    Did it boggle your mind :confused:
  14. May 15, 2005 #13

i dont know, i found it ridiculously easy to do. anyone else on my side of the table?
  15. May 15, 2005 #14
    Interesting. I had the most difficulty with the longer words. I tried to make a conscious effort not to read the words but the longer ones stand out before I even get to them.

I stumbled on the pink one that reads black because the pink color is light and right below it is the word yellow in strong black letters. It's confusing just to explain them as different things.

Yes, I had some difficulty answering them quickly.
  16. May 15, 2005 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't have all that much difficulty. *shrug*
  17. May 15, 2005 #16

Gold Member

I've never had a problem with this(maybe a few on the 1,000 times I tried it before :uhh: )
  18. May 15, 2005 #17
    I second T@P on this.
  19. May 16, 2005 #18

maybe its because i have a tendency to miss the obvious? idk
  20. May 18, 2005 #19
    wow that's great!
  21. May 18, 2005 #20

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?