1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bogoliubov transform

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello. I have a question.
    I have a hamiltonian like this:
    [tex]H=\sum_{\vec{k}}[\omega_{1}(\vec{k})a^{+}(\vec{k})a(\vec{k})+\omega_{2}(\vec{k})b^{+}(\vec{k})b(\vec{k})+\phi_{1}(\vec{k})b^{+}(\vec{k})a(\vec{k})+\phi_{2}(\vec{k})a^{+}(\vec{k})b(\vec{k})][/tex]
    My purpose is making this hamiltonian diagonal by changing [tex]a,a^{+},b,b^{+}[/tex] to other operators [tex]\alpha,\alpha^{+},\beta,\beta^{+}[/tex] which also obey the commutation relations.

2. Relevant equations
    I know the eigen-frequencies for this hamiltonian.
    [tex]\Omega_{+,-}(\vec{k})=\frac{\omega_{1}(\vec{k})+\omega_{2}(\vec{k})}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{\omega_{1}(\vec{k})-\omega_{2}(\vec{k})}{2}\right)^{2}+\phi_{1}(\vec{k})\phi_{2}(\vec{k})}[/tex]
    and the last hamiltonian must be:
    [tex]H=\sum_{\vec{k}}[\Omega_{+}(\vec{k})\alpha^{+}(\vec{k})\alpha(\vec{k})+\Omega_{-}(\vec{k})\beta^{+}(\vec{k})\beta(\vec{k}))][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the case [tex]\phi_{1}=\phi_{2}[/tex], I have already reached the solution.
    I use this transform: (Bogoliubov)
    [tex]a=u.\alpha + v.\beta[/tex]
    [tex]b=-v.\alpha + u.\beta[/tex]
    They lead to some conditions such as: [tex]u^2+v^2=1[/tex],...
    I have found that [tex]u=\frac{(\Omega_{-}-\omega_{1})/\phi_{2}}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{\Omega_{-}-\omega_{1}}{\phi_2})^2}}[/tex]
    and some equation like this for [tex]v[/tex] will be the solution.

But for the case [tex]\phi_{1}\neq\phi_{2}[/tex], I have found a condition [tex]u^2+v^2=0[/tex] which contradicts the condition [tex]u^2+v^2=1[/tex]
    So, how should I do for this case? I khow the eigen-frequencies, the eigen state but
    I can not directly change [tex]a,b\rightarrow\alpha,\beta[/tex].
    Sorry for my English. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?