Bogolubov Transformations: How to Normalize the Coefficients?

In summary, the Bogolubov transformations allow for conversion between the fields expanded in the various complete sets of modes. The coefficients for the inner product are given by: alpha_{ij}=(g_i,f_j) and beta_{ij}=-(g_i,f^{*}_j). The equations are inconsistent, but the inner product is still linear on one side and antilinear on the other.
LAHLH
Hi,

So in a general curved spacetime we have no preferred choice of modes and the Bogolubov transformations allow us to convert between the fields expanded in the various complete sets of modes.

If we have one set of modes [tex]f_{i} [/tex] and another [tex] g_i [/tex] both normalized like normalized as [tex] (f_i,f_j)=\delta_{ij} [/tex] and [tex] (f^{*}_i,f^{*}_j)=-\delta_{ij} [/tex], then we can tranform between the modes as:

[tex] f_i=\sum_j \left(\alpha^{*}_{ji}g_j-\beta_{ji}g^{*}_j\right)[/tex], where the Bogolubov coeffs are given as [tex] \alpha_{ij}=(g_i,f_j) [/tex] and [tex] \beta_{ij}=-(g_i,f^{*}_j) [/tex]

Thus it follows that

[tex] \delta_{ij}=(f_i,f_j)=\left(\sum_m \left(\alpha^{*}_{mi}g_m-\beta_{mi}g^{*}_m\right),\sum_n \left(\alpha^{*}_{nj}g_n-\beta_{nj}g^{*}_n\right) \right) [/tex]

expanding this and using the normalization of the g modes [tex] (g_i,g_j)=\delta_{ij} [/tex] and [tex] (g^{*}_i,g^{*}_j)=-\delta_{ij} [/tex], others zero:

[tex] \delta_{ij}= \sum_m \left( \alpha^{*}_{mi}\alpha^{*}_{mj}-\beta_{mi}\beta_{mj} \right)[/tex]

Giving the normalization of the coefficients. However this answer differs to the one quoted in say Birrell and Davies:

[tex] \delta_{ij}= \sum_m \left( \alpha_{im}\alpha^{*}_{jm}-\beta_{im}\beta^{*}_{jk} \right)[/tex]

Just wondering if anyone can spot how to get this normalization?

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
LAHLH said:
Hi,

So in a general curved spacetime we have no preferred choice of modes and the Bogolubov transformations allow us to convert between the fields expanded in the various complete sets of modes.

If we have one set of modes [tex]f_{i} [/tex] and another [tex] g_i [/tex] both normalized like normalized as [tex] (f_i,f_j)=\delta_{ij} [/tex] and [tex] (f^{*}_i,f^{*}_j)=-\delta_{ij} [/tex], then we can tranform between the modes as:

[tex] f_i=\sum_j \left(\alpha^{*}_{ji}g_j-\beta_{ji}g^{*}_j\right)[/tex], where the Bogolubov coeffs are given as [tex] \alpha_{ij}=(g_i,f_j) [/tex] and [tex] \beta_{ij}=-(g_i,f^{*}_j) [/tex]

These equations are inconsistent, since

[tex]( g_i , f_j ) = \sum_k \alpha^{*}_{kj}(g_i,g_k) = \alpha^*_{ij}.[/tex]

You should double-check the other term as well.

The inner product is linear on one side and antilinear on the other, so when you pull the coefficients out, one side should get complex conjugated.

Bill_K said:
The inner product is linear on one side and antilinear on the other, so when you pull the coefficients out, one side should get complex conjugated.

Oh yes, that makes sense from the definition of the inner product here.

So I should have really got:

[tex]
\delta_{ij}= \sum_m \left( \alpha^{*}_{mi}\alpha_{mj}-\beta_{mi}\beta^{*}_{mj} \right)
[/tex]

comparing to the B&D result :

[tex]
\delta_{ij}= \sum_m \left( \alpha_{im}\alpha^{*}_{jm}-\beta_{im}\beta^{*}_{jm} \right)
[/tex]

These would be equivalent if [tex] \alpha^{*}_{mi}=\alpha_{im} [/tex]

But this doesn't seem to hold from the inner product and the definition of alpha:

[tex]\alpha_{im} \equiv (g_i,f_m) =-i\int\, \mathrm{d}x (g_i \nabla f^{*}_m-f^{*}_m\nabla g_i) [/tex]

and
[tex]\alpha_{mi} \equiv (g_m,f_i) =-i\int\, \mathrm{d}x (g_m \nabla f^{*}_i-f^{*}_i\nabla g_m) [/tex]

so

[tex]\alpha^{*}_{mi} =+i\int\, \mathrm{d}x (g^{*}_m \nabla f_i-f_i\nabla g^{*}_m) [/tex]

fzero said:
These equations are inconsistent, since

[tex]( g_i , f_j ) = \sum_k \alpha^{*}_{kj}(g_i,g_k) = \alpha^*_{ij}.[/tex]

You should double-check the other term as well.

Taking into account the anti-linearity in the second arg of inner product as Bill_K noted, means the equations are consistent also.

one also would require [tex] \beta_{im}=\pm \beta_{mi} [/tex].

I started with the [tex] \delta_{ij}=(g_i,g_j) [/tex] and found that it led me to the Birrel and Davies result. So I think my earlier result must hold with these conditions on alpha and beta being used to show the two normalizations are in fact equivalent but I can't see how the alpha coeffs are Hermitian and beta symmetric/antisymmetric.

1. What is the purpose of a Bogolubov transformation?

A Bogolubov transformation is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to transform the creation and annihilation operators of a quantum system. This transformation allows for the simplification of the Hamiltonian of the system, making it easier to solve and analyze.

2. How does a Bogolubov transformation work?

A Bogolubov transformation involves a linear combination of the creation and annihilation operators, where the coefficients are determined by the system's initial conditions. This transformation changes the basis of the operators, making the Hamiltonian simpler and easier to solve.

3. Can a Bogolubov transformation be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, a Bogolubov transformation can be applied to any quantum system that follows the rules and principles of quantum mechanics. It is a widely used tool in many areas of quantum physics, including quantum field theory and condensed matter physics.

4. What are the advantages of using a Bogolubov transformation?

The main advantage of using a Bogolubov transformation is that it simplifies the Hamiltonian of a quantum system, making it easier to solve and analyze. This allows for a better understanding of the system's behavior and properties, which can lead to new insights and discoveries.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Bogolubov transformation?

One limitation of using a Bogolubov transformation is that it is only applicable to systems that can be described using creation and annihilation operators. Additionally, the transformation may not always result in a completely solvable Hamiltonian, and further mathematical techniques may be needed to fully understand the system.