Bohmian Trajectories: Intersections & Young Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bohmian interpretation of quantum mechanics and the behavior of trajectories in different scenarios. It is mentioned that in this interpretation, trajectories cannot intersect and this concept is not specific to Bohmian mechanics. The conversation also touches upon the idea of boundary conditions and how they affect the equations of motion. Ultimately, it is stated that there is nothing preventing two points from having orthogonal momentums in a small neighborhood.
PaleMoon
i read that a bohmian trajectory (in this interpretation) cannot intersect itself because the speed depends on the position. there is no visualization problem in a Young experiment with trajectories from the slits to the screen.
it becomes harder when a particle is trapped in a small region by a potential which make it remain there a long time before a possible tunnelling. how does it work then?

Physics news on Phys.org
PaleMoon said:
i read that a bohmian trajectory (in this interpretation) cannot intersect itself because the speed depends on the position. there is no visualization problem in a Young experiment with trajectories from the slits to the screen.
it becomes harder when a particle is trapped in a small region by a potential which make it remain there a long time before a possible tunnelling. how does it work then?
The trajectory is considered in space-time, not in 3-space. Crossing the same space point at different times is not an intersection in space-time.

Likes Demystifier
A. Neumaier said:
The trajectory is considered in space-time, not in 3-space. Crossing the same space point at different times is not an intersection in space-time.
Exactly!

I am sorry. my question was very incorrectly asked.
i wonder why in bohmian model two different trajectories cannot intersect. i know that the speed
at one point in space time only depends on the configuration space point and that intersection of two curves would be a problem. but can two such trajectories be very very close without problem?
is there some force repelling them. (i have the same problem with fermi exclusion principle when the positions only differ by an infinitesimally small distance)

PaleMoon said:
why in bohmian model two different trajectories cannot intersect.
This is not special to Bohmian mechanics; it holds for any reasonably well-behaved initial-value problem for differential equations. Read some introductory literature about dynamical systems and the phase diagrams representing their flow!

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier and dextercioby
Geodesics can meet. Bohmian trajectories cannot.

Bohm himself writes this

It is in connection with the boundary conditions appearing in the equations of motion that
we find the only fundamental difference between the psi-field and other fields such as electromagnetism

please read the bottom of page 5 in Bohm's paper
i repeat my question.
Is there something that prevent two points in a small neighborhood to have orthogonal momentums (2 different trajectoiries might be tangent if they meet and exist!)

PaleMoon said:
Is there something that prevent two points in a small neighborhood to have orthogonal momentums
If the neighborhood has not a zero size, then nothing prevents it.

is it possible a t = 0 that all the momentums are equal to p = 1_x> (unitary ane parallel to x) except in the plane y = o where the momentum would be 1_z> ?

PaleMoon said:
is it possible a t = 0 that all the momentums are equal to p = 1_x> (unitary ane parallel to x) except in the plane y = o where the momentum would be 1_z> ?
No.

Likes PaleMoon
Oh yes i see now but can you elaborate?

PaleMoon said:
Oh yes i see now but can you elaborate?
If you see it, then why do you need need an elaboration?

1. What are Bohmian trajectories?

Bohmian trajectories, also known as de Broglie-Bohm trajectories, are a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the path of a particle as it moves through space and time. These trajectories are determined by a guiding equation, known as the pilot wave equation, which takes into account both the particle's position and its wave function.

2. How do Bohmian trajectories intersect?

Bohmian trajectories can intersect when multiple particles are present in a system. This can occur when particles are in close proximity or when they are interacting with each other. The pilot wave equation takes into account all of the particles in the system, allowing for the trajectories to intersect and influence each other's paths.

3. What is the significance of Young's double-slit experiment in relation to Bohmian trajectories?

Young's double-slit experiment is a famous experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrated the wave-particle duality of light. It also has implications for Bohmian trajectories, as it shows that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior and that their trajectories can be influenced by the presence of a wave. This supports the idea of the pilot wave equation and the existence of Bohmian trajectories.

4. How do Bohmian trajectories differ from traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Bohmian trajectories differ from traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that they propose a deterministic view of the universe. In traditional interpretations, the behavior of particles is described by probabilities and uncertainties, while Bohmian trajectories suggest that the particles have definite positions and follow specific paths.

5. Are Bohmian trajectories widely accepted in the scientific community?

Bohmian trajectories are a controversial topic in the scientific community, with some physicists supporting the theory while others reject it. It is still considered a fringe theory and is not widely accepted by the majority of scientists. However, research and experiments are ongoing to further explore the implications and validity of Bohmian trajectories in quantum mechanics.