1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Correspondence Principle

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a particle in a one-dimensional box of length a, I am attempting to find the probability that the particle will be located between 0 and a/4, in the limit of large quantum numbers.

2. Relevant equations
    The Correspondence Principle states that quantum mechanical systems may be described by classical physics in the limit of large quantum numbers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that classically the particle has an equal probability of being anywhere in the box. So, by the Correspondence Principle for large quantum numbers the particle also has an equal probability of being found anywhere in the box. Assuming a normalized wavefunction, the probability of the particle being between 0 and a is 1. Then, am I correct in thinking that the probability of the particle being between 0 and a/4 is 1/4?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nargle! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Yup! :biggrin:

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks tiny-tim!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook