Calculating Bohr Magneton: Need Help with Unit Conversion

In summary, the Bohr magneton is a unit of magnetic moment that can be calculated using the formula μB = eħ/2me, where e is the charge of an electron, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and me is the mass of an electron. The units of the Bohr magneton are joules per tesla (J/T) or ampere-square meters (A·m²). To convert from joules per tesla to ampere-square meters, multiply by 1.2566370614 x 10^-6. The Bohr magneton is important in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules, as well as in other fields of physics such
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody; I am triying to calculate the Bohr Magneton (eħ/2mc); I am suposed to express it in units of MeV/ Gauss, but I have not idea how to transform charge/time, which is what I obtain when I introduce the units in the formula.
Can anyone help plase?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the relation 1 C = 1 A × 1s.

But since you need to have units of magnetic field, you can use the conversion 1 Gauss = 10-4 kg C-1 s-1.

Likes Frank Einstein
Allright I'll try that. Thanks.

1. What is the Bohr magneton?

The Bohr magneton is a unit of magnetic moment, equal to the charge of an electron multiplied by its reduced Planck's constant and divided by twice its mass.

2. How do you calculate the Bohr magneton?

To calculate the Bohr magneton, use the formula μB = eħ/2me, where e is the charge of an electron, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and me is the mass of an electron.

3. What are the units of the Bohr magneton?

The units of the Bohr magneton are joules per tesla (J/T) or ampere-square meters (A·m²).

4. How do you convert from J/T to A·m²?

To convert from joules per tesla to ampere-square meters, multiply by 1.2566370614 x 10^-6.

5. Why is it important to calculate the Bohr magneton?

The Bohr magneton is an important quantity in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules. It is also used in various fields of physics, such as solid state physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics.