1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    The angular momentum of the Bohr atom is ⃗L = ⃗r× ⃗p

Let the Oz axis of the unit vector ⃗uz be determined by the relation L = L⃗uz, in which L stands for the magnitude of the angular momentum vector ⃗L .
    (Basically L is in Positive z axis)

We specify the position of the electron within its plane of movement
    by the polar coordinates r = OM and θ = ∢(⃗ux,OM), where ⃗ux is the unit vector of the Ox axis. The unit vectors in polar coordinates are to be denoted ⃗ur and ⃗uθ. Calculate the absolute value L of the angular momentum as a function of m, r and dθ/dt.

What ive tried

Ive tried little things like dp=rdθ, to get ⃗v= ⃗w x ⃗r to ⃗v =dθ/dt x ⃗r
    but really i have no idea how to bring that back ⃗L= ⃗r x ⃗p

Thanks for any help
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure I understand your notation or work but here's my 2 cents.

[tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{\vec{r}}\abs{\vec{p}}sin\theta [/tex] and what is [tex] \theta [/tex]?
  4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Sorry I should elaborate,

when there is a ⃗ in front of a letter it means vector, if not its a scalar
  5. Apr 26, 2010 #4
    Theta is the angle between the x-axis and r (as the electron goes round).

Am I right in saying that it should be the magnitudes on the right hand side of your suggestion as opposed to vectors i.e.
    [tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{{r}}\abs{{p}}sin\theta [/tex]
    as then that may help me.
  6. Apr 26, 2010 #5
    yes about the magnitudes, couldn't get it in latex. Theta is the angle between the two vectors r and p.
  7. Apr 26, 2010 #6
    What is the question? To find the magnitude of L in terms of m, r and do/dt right? (o=theta)
  8. Apr 26, 2010 #7
    aha got it, thankyou,

[tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{{r}}\abs{{p}}sin\theta [/tex]

using dx/dt = sin (x) dθ/dt and p =mv

we arrive at

L = r mv sin θ
    L = r mv dθ/dt sin x
    where x is actually ⃗ux

so we get L = r mv dθ/dt sin ( ⃗ux)

I think this is correct, thankyou zachzach
  9. Apr 26, 2010 #8
    I don't think so. Theta is a constant. It is the angle between r and p so the angle between r and v. Your answer is not in terms of what it asks for because you have a v in there. In fact your answer even has the wrong units. Also, is x an angle? Otherwise how why are you taking the sine of it?
  10. Apr 26, 2010 #9
    ah balls your right, ive been looking at this question too long. I had to translate it from french as well which probably isnt helping. I'll take a nap and come back to it later.

but upto L=r m v sin theta is correct and v = r dθ/dt right, and theta being a constant means sin theta is also, so would it be

L=r^2 m dθ/dt sin theta, could i say theta is 90 ie sin theta is 1?
    L=r^2 m dθ/dt ?
  11. Apr 26, 2010 #10
    That is what I got. Theta does equal 90 degrees always since it is traveling in a circle. V is tangential to the circle and r is the radial direction.
  12. Apr 26, 2010 #11
    well in that case thankyou once again, much appreciated.
  13. Apr 26, 2010 #12
    no prob good luck.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook