Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates

In summary, the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates is a mathematical representation of the atomic structure that takes into account both distance and angle of electrons' orbits. This differs from the traditional Bohr Model, which only considers distance. Using polar co-ordinates allows for a more intuitive visualization and understanding of electron behavior and energy levels. The model also explains the stability of atoms by showing that electrons can only occupy certain orbits at specific distances and angles. However, it is limited in its application to larger and more complex atoms.
dirtyhippy
The angular momentum of the Bohr atom is ⃗L = ⃗r× ⃗p

Let the Oz axis of the unit vector ⃗uz be determined by the relation L = L⃗uz, in which L stands for the magnitude of the angular momentum vector ⃗L .
(Basically L is in Positive z axis)

We specify the position of the electron within its plane of movement
by the polar coordinates r = OM and θ = ∢(⃗ux,OM), where ⃗ux is the unit vector of the Ox axis. The unit vectors in polar coordinates are to be denoted ⃗ur and ⃗uθ. Calculate the absolute value L of the angular momentum as a function of m, r and dθ/dt.

What I've tried

Ive tried little things like dp=rdθ, to get ⃗v= ⃗w x ⃗r to ⃗v =dθ/dt x ⃗r
but really i have no idea how to bring that back ⃗L= ⃗r x ⃗p

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your notation or work but here's my 2 cents.

[tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{\vec{r}}\abs{\vec{p}}sin\theta [/tex] and what is [tex] \theta [/tex]?

zachzach said:
I'm not sure I understand your notation or work
?

Sorry I should elaborate,

when there is a ⃗ in front of a letter it means vector, if not its a scalar

zachzach said:
[tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{\vec{r}}\abs{\vec{p}}sin\theta [/tex] and what is [tex] \theta [/tex]?

Theta is the angle between the x-axis and r (as the electron goes round).

Am I right in saying that it should be the magnitudes on the right hand side of your suggestion as opposed to vectors i.e.
[tex] \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = \abs{{r}}\abs{{p}}sin\theta [/tex]
as then that may help me.

yes about the magnitudes, couldn't get it in latex. Theta is the angle between the two vectors r and p.

What is the question? To find the magnitude of L in terms of m, r and do/dt right? (o=theta)

aha got it, thankyou,

using dx/dt = sin (x) dθ/dt and p =mv

we arrive at

L = r mv sin θ
L = r mv dθ/dt sin x
where x is actually ⃗ux

so we get L = r mv dθ/dt sin ( ⃗ux)

I think this is correct, thankyou zachzach

dirtyhippy said:
aha got it, thankyou,

using dx/dt = sin (x) dθ/dt and p =mv

we arrive at

L = r mv sin θ
L = r mv dθ/dt sin x
where x is actually ⃗ux

so we get L = r mv dθ/dt sin ( ⃗ux)I think this is correct, thankyou zachzach

I don't think so. Theta is a constant. It is the angle between r and p so the angle between r and v. Your answer is not in terms of what it asks for because you have a v in there. In fact your answer even has the wrong units. Also, is x an angle? Otherwise how why are you taking the sine of it?

ah balls your right, I've been looking at this question too long. I had to translate it from french as well which probably isn't helping. I'll take a nap and come back to it later.

but upto L=r m v sin theta is correct and v = r dθ/dt right, and theta being a constant means sin theta is also, so would it be

L=r^2 m dθ/dt sin theta, could i say theta is 90 ie sin theta is 1?
L=r^2 m dθ/dt ?

That is what I got. Theta does equal 90 degrees always since it is traveling in a circle. V is tangential to the circle and r is the radial direction.

well in that case thankyou once again, much appreciated.

no prob good luck.

1. What is the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates?

The Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates is a mathematical representation of the atomic structure proposed by physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the position of electrons in an atom in terms of distance from the nucleus and angle relative to a reference axis.

2. How is the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates different from the traditional Bohr Model?

The traditional Bohr Model only considers the distance of electrons from the nucleus, while the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates takes into account the angle of the electrons' orbits. This allows for a more accurate representation of electron behavior in an atom.

3. What is the significance of using polar co-ordinates in the Bohr Model?

Polar co-ordinates provide a more natural and intuitive way of visualizing the electron orbits in an atom. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the distance and angle of the electrons, as well as their energy levels.

4. How does the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates shows that electrons can only occupy certain orbits at specific distances and angles from the nucleus. These orbits correspond to different energy levels, and electrons tend to stay in the lowest energy level possible, making the atom more stable.

5. Can the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates be applied to all atoms?

While the Bohr Model in Polar Co-ordinates can be used to describe the atomic structure of many elements, it has limitations when applied to larger and more complex atoms. It is best suited for smaller atoms with a few electrons, such as hydrogen or helium.