1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr model of atom

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    Hi; Could someone please help me with this question: By what fraction does the mass of an H atom decrease when it makes an n=7 to n=5 transition? How would I go about this question? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2
    There's a mass change?

4. Jul 19, 2005 #3
    Re:

I guess so. That's what confuses me about the question. I don't know how to incorporate the mass into it. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

5. Jul 20, 2005 #4

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the energy change?

Next, use [itex]E=mc^2[/itex].

6. Jul 20, 2005 #5
    Re:

Ok, so I find the energy change by doing E of upper state - energy of lower state right? So I get (-0.2) - (-0.5) = 0.3 After I find this energy change, how do i find the decrease in mass? If I use E=mc^2, I plug in 0.3 into E and 1.00794 into m? What am I solving for? I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

7. Jul 20, 2005 #6
    As per [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] , Mass is the condensed form of energy . So whenever energy is released from particle , it is accompanied by a small mass change. So calculate the energy change from one state to another , and then equate the energy change with [itex]mc^2[/itex].

BJ

8. Jul 23, 2005 #7

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're trying to find m. c is the speed of light, which is [itex]3 \times 10^8[/itex] m/s. If you want m in kilograms, you need E in Joules. Your 0.3 is not in Joules, so you'll need to convert it.

If your energies are in eV, the conversion is: [itex]1 eV = 1.6 \times 10^{-19} J[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?