1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr model of hydrogen atom

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

4-16:
    if the angular momentum of the Earth in its motion around the sun were quantized like a hydrogen electron according to equation L=mvr=(nh)/2Π, what would Earth's quantum number be? How much energy would be released in a transition to the next lowest level? would that energy release (presumably as a gravity wave) be detectable? what would be the radius of that orbit? (radius of earth's orbit is 1.5x10^11 m

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    don't even know where to start!! :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    Try finding out what n is using the physical characteristics of the Earth.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    ok so i set nh/2pi equal to L which is 7.27e-5 rad/s and i solved for n. I got 6.2e29.
    for the next part with the energy, i have this equation: [m(k^2)(z^2)(e^2)]/[(2h^2)(n^2)]
    but i don't know what i would use for z. when i use z=1 i get that E= 7.7e-40 J but that just seems very wrong.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4
    I believe we need to find out how much energy it would take to go from n to n-1. So find the energy at E(n) and subtract E(n-1). See if that gives you something more reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?