1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr model question

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light of wavelength 410.7 nm is observed in emission from a hydrogen source. a) what transition between hydrogen bohr orbits is responsible for this radiation? b) to what series does this transition belong to?

2. Relevant equations

1/lambda=Z^2 *R(1/n^2-m^2) ,

n being the final transition and m being the initial transition state. R is the Rydberg constant and the Rydberg constant for hydrogen is 1.096776*10^7 m^-1 and Z being the atomic number.
    3. The attempt at a solution

Since the the wavelength is light , I know that its going to be in the visible spectrum of the E-M spectrum and the Balmer series is always part o the visible spectrum. the initial transition energy state in the balmer series is always m=2. Therefore since I know the initial transition state , R , Z and the wavelength , I thought I could find the n, the final transition state. here are my calculations below:

1/lambda)*1/(R)= (1/n^2-1/m^2) =>(1/(4.10e-7 m))*(1/(1.096776e7 m^-1))= (1/(2^2)-1/(m^2)) => .2224=(1/4-1/(m^2))=> -1/m^2 = -(.222-.25) => m^2= 1/.028 = 5.97 m = 6

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Looks right. But the final state, n = 2... and you're finding m which is the initial state... so the initial state is m = 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?