1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Model

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Bohr Model
    1. Assuming that the wavelengths of visible light lie between about 300nm and 700nm, what transitions in Li++ (hydrogenic lithium ions, Z=3) would be visible. Identify each transition by initial and final principal quantum number n. Also identify those transitions that are also seen in hydrogen (3->2, 4->2, 5->2 in hydrogen)

2. E=13.6eV*(Z^2)*((1/n)^2-(1/m)^2)
    λ=1240/E

3. I ran through it but I keep getting the same wavelengths as hydrogen. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I multiply n*Z on the bottom before I square it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for Z? Remember, the atomic number of Lithium is 3, and the nucleus of the Li++ ion has 3e charge.

ehild

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    I used Z=3 but do I need to multiply Z by n and m?

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not understand you. You need to substitute different n-s and m-s into the formula. First evaluate the expression in the parentheses, (1/n2-1/m2). Then multiply the result by (13.6 * 9).

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook