Understanding the Bohr Model and Electron Decay

In summary, the Bohr model solves the problem of accelerating electrons losing energy and decaying into the nucleus by setting up a ground state for the electrons. This is done by quantizing the energy levels of the electron.
jamie.j1989
Hi, I'm really struggling to comprehend how the Bohr model solves the problem of accelerating electrons losing energy and decaying into the nucleus. I've read through a lot of discussions on line and on PF and all I keep on reading is stuff like, the quantization of energy levels leads to a ground state of the energy and so this solves the problem of accelerating charged particles, how? Surely the electrons are still accelerating in the ground state or in any other state for that matter and so must be losing energy, how is this actually countered? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the FAQ on this topic here?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/

BTW, just to correct your spelling, it is "Bohr", not "Bhor". You tend to want to make sure you spell the names of very famous people correctly.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ZapperZ, so am I right in saying that when Bohr put forward this model it was in no way an attempt to explain why electrons don't crash into the nucleus but rather just an attempt at explaining emission spectra? Also this now leads me to ask, if we're now dealing with the electron being some sort of cloud distributed across a volume and the van der Waals force is explained by density distortions in this cloud, wouldn't these distortions emit EM waves and so reduce the electrons energy?

jamie.j1989 said:
Thanks ZapperZ, so am I right in saying that when Bohr put forward this model it was in no way an attempt to explain why electrons don't crash into the nucleus but rather just an attempt at explaining emission spectra? Also this now leads me to ask, if we're now dealing with the electron being some sort of cloud distributed across a volume and the van der Waals force is explained by density distortions in this cloud, wouldn't these distortions emit EM waves and so reduce the electrons energy?

Only if a transition to a lower energy state is allowed and available!

You can't just simply ask question like this without dealing with a specific scenario. Your question doesn't indicate if the system is already in a ground state, what are the Hamiltonian of the system in question, etc. ... etc. In other words, your vague question will only allow me to give you a vague answer. And I did.

Zz.

1. What is the Bohr Model and how does it explain electron decay?

The Bohr Model is a simplified representation of the atomic structure proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It states that electrons exist in specific energy levels or orbits around the nucleus, and can jump between these levels by absorbing or emitting energy. Electron decay occurs when an electron in a higher energy level jumps down to a lower energy level, releasing energy in the form of light or heat.

2. How does the Bohr Model differ from the earlier Rutherford Model?

The Rutherford Model proposed by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 stated that electrons orbit the nucleus in a random manner, much like planets around the sun. The Bohr Model, on the other hand, introduced the idea of discrete energy levels and explained the stability of atoms by stating that electrons can only exist in certain orbits.

3. What is the significance of the electron decay process?

Electron decay plays a crucial role in various physical phenomena, including the emission of light by atoms, the formation of chemical bonds, and the functioning of electronic devices. It also helps us understand the properties of different elements and their behavior in chemical reactions.

4. Can the Bohr Model explain the behavior of all atoms?

No, the Bohr Model is a simplified model that is only applicable to atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It does not account for the behavior of atoms with multiple electrons and is limited in its ability to explain complex atomic structures.

5. How has our understanding of the Bohr Model and electron decay evolved over time?

Since its introduction, the Bohr Model has undergone several modifications and refinements based on new experimental evidence and advancements in quantum mechanics. It is now considered a stepping stone towards the more accurate and comprehensive quantum mechanical model of the atom.