What product can I use to line my dosing tank for my boiler?

In summary, the conversation discusses an old dosing tank that needs maintenance. The tank is made of steel and has surface rust that can be fixed with a grinder. The speaker is asking for suggestions on a product to line the tank, potentially a spray-on or lay-up product. They mention a UK DIY group as a potential resource for finding a solution. They clarify that a dosing tank is used to mix chemicals and condition water for a boiler. The tank is exposed to room temperature.
Avis
I have an old tank on site that is in need of some TLC. Its a dosing tank for our aux boiler. It has a good bit of surface rust but its nothing a grinder can't fix. Does anyone know of a product I could line this tank with? Maby some sort of spray on product or a product that can be laid up?}

Tank is roughly 1m diamter and 2m tall.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If no answer here, maybe try a d-i-y site. I'm not in the UK but I sometimes ask handyman questions on the uk usenet group, uk.d-i-y and they are very helpful.

I don't know what a dosing tank is, and therefore not the chemical/thermal/etc. resistance you need. There's a spray-on material for lining pick-up truck beds. It's incredibly tough and easy to apply. I think that the brand name is Rhino.

Sorry, dosing tank is used to mix chemicals, in this case Phosphate or Morpholine and pump it into the boiler to condition the water to get proper ph and such.

The tank is exposed to room temperature and is made of steel.

There are several options for lining a dosing tank for a boiler. One option is to use an epoxy-based coating, which can be applied by spraying or brushing onto the surface of the tank. This type of coating is durable and resistant to corrosion, making it suitable for use in a boiler environment. Another option is to use a rubber lining, which can be applied in sheets or sprayed onto the tank. This type of lining is flexible and can withstand high temperatures and chemicals commonly found in boiler systems. It is important to properly prepare the tank surface before applying any lining product, such as removing rust and ensuring a clean and dry surface. It is also recommended to consult with a professional and follow manufacturer's instructions for proper application and maintenance of the chosen lining product.

1. What is a boiler dosing tank liner?

A boiler dosing tank liner is a protective layer that is installed inside a boiler dosing tank to prevent corrosion and damage to the tank's internal components.

2. Why is a boiler dosing tank liner necessary?

A boiler dosing tank liner is necessary because the chemicals used in water treatment can be corrosive and can cause damage to the tank's internal surfaces. The liner acts as a barrier, protecting the tank from these chemicals and extending its lifespan.

3. What materials are typically used to make a boiler dosing tank liner?

Boiler dosing tank liners are typically made from materials such as polyethylene, polypropylene, or rubber. These materials are resistant to corrosion and can withstand the harsh chemicals used in water treatment.

4. How long does a boiler dosing tank liner last?

The lifespan of a boiler dosing tank liner can vary depending on the type of material used, the frequency of chemical dosing, and the operating conditions of the tank. Generally, a well-maintained liner can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years.

5. Can a boiler dosing tank liner be repaired or replaced?

In most cases, a damaged boiler dosing tank liner can be repaired by patching or sealing the affected area. However, if the damage is extensive or the liner is nearing the end of its lifespan, it may need to be replaced entirely. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the liner to ensure its effectiveness and prolong its lifespan.