How can a solution's boiling point decrease during distillation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment where a mixture of 2-methyl-2-butene and 2-methyl-1-butene was distilled in a dilute solution of sulfuric acid. The boiling points of the compounds are 38.57C and 31.6C respectively. The boiling point range ended up being a constant 32C, which was unexpected. It is suggested that an azeotrope may have formed, causing the boiling point to decrease. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a chemical reaction occurring during the distillation and discusses the composition and types of binary and ternary solutions. However, in the end, it is unclear why the boiling point remained at a constant 32C and
louise82
I just finished a lab where I distilled a mixture of 2-methyl-2-butene and 2-methyl-1-butene in a dilute solution of sulfuric acid. The boiling points of the compounds respectively are 38.57C and 31.6C.

The bp range ended up being a constant 32C. How is this possible?

Shouldn't it be higher than either of the alkene bps?

What could cause the boiling point of a solution to decrease?

Physics news on Phys.org
They have formed an azeotrope. Google 'azeotrope'.

louise82 said:
I just finished a lab where I distilled a mixture of 2-methyl-2-butene and 2-methyl-1-butene in a dilute solution of sulfuric acid. The boiling points of the compounds respectively are 38.57C and 31.6C.

The bp range ended up being a constant 32C. How is this possible?

Shouldn't it be higher than either of the alkene bp?

What ended up with a boiling point of 32 C, the residue (alkenes and sulphuric acid) or the distillate (alkenes only)? What were the mole fractions of the alkenes?

The boiling point of a binary solution changes with composition. For type I solutions, the bp changes monotonically with composition; for type II there is a minimum bp (at constant pressure) at some composition; for type III there is a maximum.
Types II and III can form azeotropes, i.e. mixtures such that the composition of the liquid and the vapour at the boiling point is the same. For type II solutions, the residue ends up to be one of the pure components and the distillate has the composition corresponding to the minimum bp, which is less than the bp of either of the two components. For type III solutions, the residues tend twoard the maximum boiling mixture while the distillates tend toward the pure constituents, and the constant boiling point is higher than that of each
of the pure components.

If you are talking about a binary solution only (i.e. without the sulphuric acid), then either you have a type II azeotrope and your measurement of the constant boiling temperature is wrong (i.e. not accurate enough, because it should lie below 31.16 C) or something else is going on.

Not knowing exactly what you did, I can only speculate: perhaps there is a chemical reaction converting one alkene to the other. (Sulphuric acid can add to the double bond.) Or, if you are talking about the boiling point of the mixture including the sulphuric acid, then you would have a ternary system, which is more complicated.

The the purpose of the lab was to dehydrate 2-methyl-2-butanol with H2SO4 and heat. The reaction was taking place as the distillation was occurring.

From what the grad student in the lab told me, I was to watch the temp and stop the distillation when there was a sharp rise. It stayed at a constant 32 the whole time.

So this is a ternary system?

32 is not much different than 31.6 y'know.

louise82 said:
The the purpose of the lab was to dehydrate 2-methyl-2-butanol with H2SO4 and heat. The reaction was taking place as the distillation was occurring.

From what the grad student in the lab told me, I was to watch the temp and stop the distillation when there was a sharp rise. It stayed at a constant 32 the whole time.

So this is a ternary system?

In the light of this information, you can ignore most of what I said in my previous post about binary and ternary mixtures: I thought you were distilling a mixture of these alkenes but I see now that you are synthesizing them. I have no explanation for the constant boiling temperature of 32 C except to say that maybe you didn't wait long enough. After all, there is water and sulphuric acid in your reaction flask (if your preparation method was similar to that in the attachment), so that eventually the temperature must rise after the organic products have come over. Did you analyse the products (alkenes) to see what did happen?

Attachments

• Exp70.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 654

What is boiling point depression?

Boiling point depression is a phenomenon where the boiling point of a liquid is lowered when a solute is added to it. This is due to the decrease in vapor pressure caused by the presence of the solute.

What factors affect boiling point depression?

The extent of boiling point depression depends on the concentration of the solute, the nature of the solvent and solute, and the total number of solute particles present in the solution. Other factors such as atmospheric pressure and intermolecular forces can also play a role.

How is boiling point depression calculated?

The amount of boiling point depression can be calculated using the equation ΔTb = iKbm, where ΔTb is the change in boiling point, i is the van 't Hoff factor, Kb is the molal boiling point constant, and m is the molality of the solution.

What is the significance of boiling point depression?

Boiling point depression is an important concept in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It is used in the determination of molecular weight, as well as in industrial processes such as distillation and freezing point depression.

How does boiling point depression affect the boiling point of water?

The addition of a solute to water lowers its boiling point, making it easier to boil. For example, adding salt to water can decrease its boiling point from 100°C to as low as 95°C. This is why salt is often added to cooking water to decrease cooking time.