Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boiling point question

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    I think the answer is e). I don't think it is ammonia because of the hydrogen bonding between nitrogen and hydrogen. This will result in a higher boiling point. This is the same with Hydrogen flouride and water. However, the two organic molecules i'm not sure. I assume that since the alcohol is a polar molecule and thus have stronger dipole-dipole interactions thus, a higher boiling point. Am i correct? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2
    Methanol exists at RT as a liquid. You are correct the notion of hydrogen bonding increasing the bp (not only for the inorganics but for methanol as well). And if you have a CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, you will find that you are in fact correct.

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks, i'm just wondering, what does CRC stand for?

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4
    Not too sure if they've changed the definition, but originally CRC = Chemical Rubber Company:

http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/

A chemists constant companion back in the day.

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can arrange the strength of intermolecular bonding-dipole dipole, hydrogen bonding, van der wall (low or high molecular weight), etc.......

which one of the compounds has a low molecular weight, and would suspect to be nonpolar?

Note that it is asking for the lowest boiling point-lack of intermolecular attaction.

very nice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?