1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boiling point question

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1
    I think the answer is e). I don't think it is ammonia because of the hydrogen bonding between nitrogen and hydrogen. This will result in a higher boiling point. This is the same with Hydrogen flouride and water. However, the two organic molecules i'm not sure. I assume that since the alcohol is a polar molecule and thus have stronger dipole-dipole interactions thus, a higher boiling point. Am i correct? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2005 #2
    Methanol exists at RT as a liquid. You are correct the notion of hydrogen bonding increasing the bp (not only for the inorganics but for methanol as well). And if you have a CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, you will find that you are in fact correct.

4. Apr 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks, i'm just wondering, what does CRC stand for?

5. Apr 16, 2005 #4
    Not too sure if they've changed the definition, but originally CRC = Chemical Rubber Company:

http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/

A chemists constant companion back in the day.

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can arrange the strength of intermolecular bonding-dipole dipole, hydrogen bonding, van der wall (low or high molecular weight), etc.......

which one of the compounds has a low molecular weight, and would suspect to be nonpolar?

Note that it is asking for the lowest boiling point-lack of intermolecular attaction.

very nice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?