Understanding Boiling Point: Explained!

In summary, the boiling point of a liquid occurs when its saturated vapor pressure is equal to the external pressure on the liquid, typically atmospheric pressure. This allows for the formation and expansion of bubbles in the liquid, causing it to transition from liquid phase to gas phase. If the external pressure is higher than the vapor pressure, bubbles will not form and the liquid will not boil.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] boiling point

Homework Statement

All of my sources say that a liquid boils when its saturated vapor pressure reaches the external pressure on the liquid. None of my sources actually explain why that makes sense.
When they say "external pressure," does that include the vapor pressure of the liquid on the liquid itself?
I just don't understand why the external pressure on the liquid from the gas above it cannot be greater than the vapor pressure of the liquid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
boiling means that the example is going from liquid phase to gas phase in the whole sample, (sorry for my English, hope you´ll understand). When they say external pressure then they mean, for example, atmospheric pressure which is 1atm at seal level. When the vapor pressure reaches to external pressure then the liquid becomes sufficient to overcome atmospheric pressure and lift the liquid (bubbles form inside the example). If the external pressure is higher than vapor pressure then those bubbles will not form. The example might vaporize very rapidly, but it won´t boil. Hope this will help you a little.

Last edited:
I think you might want to look up the word "example". I think the word you want is "sample". The word "example" was used correctly only in the second sentence.

Anyway, can you explain what it means that "the liquid becomes sufficient to overcome atmospheric pressure and lift the liquid"?

When the external pressure is greater than vapor pressure then the bubble formed in the sample(Thanks for mentioning my mistake before) will collapse. But if the external pressure is equal or lower than the vapor pressure, the bubbles will remain(and expand) because the pressure inside the bubble is same as vapor pressure and grater or equal to the external pressure.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Thanks.

1. What is boiling point?

The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which its vapor pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure, causing it to change from a liquid to a gas state.

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect boiling point?

As atmospheric pressure increases, the boiling point of a substance also increases. This is because the higher pressure makes it more difficult for the molecules in the liquid to escape into the gas phase.

3. What factors can affect boiling point?

The boiling point of a substance can be affected by factors such as atmospheric pressure, altitude, type of substance, purity, and intermolecular forces.

4. Why does water have a higher boiling point than alcohol?

Water has a higher boiling point than alcohol because it has stronger intermolecular forces, specifically hydrogen bonding, which requires more energy to break apart the molecules and transition from liquid to gas state.

5. Can boiling point change with altitude?

Yes, boiling point can change with altitude. As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, causing the boiling point of a substance to decrease as well.