Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boiling points?

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I opened a thread here yesterday and it was deleted, I don't know why, I hope I'm in the right forum.
    I'm looking for a table of substances and their boiling points. The closest thing I found was:
    http://chem.sis.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/" [Broken]
    but for all of the substances I searched it only gave the melting point. I went over the sticky thread here ("chemical websites") and I couldn't find anything like that. Does anyone know where I can find such a table?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's because melting points are important for determining the nature an purity of a substance, boiling points are less usefu.
    If you have access to a library the "crc handbook" is the bible of this stuff, you can also access it using google's books online

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    I found "crc handbook" on google books, but I can't find the boiling points of the substances I want. Maybe that's because there's limited access to this books. Do you know any online search engine for that kind of stuff?

Thanks!

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The data is split into lots of tables for different substances (minerals, salts, organics etc)
    I don't know of a comprehensive online resource other than googling.
    What kind of substances are you looking for, how reliable does the answer have to be?

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    I just saw that these kind of stuff are not permitted here. Thanks for your help, I'll try to find something. :-)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. Mar 31, 2009 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What compounds are you interested in? I can't imagine any boiling point data being subject to deletion....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook