Mastering Bold Writing in Latex: A Guide to Using Number Signs for Emphasis

In summary, the user is asking for assistance in properly formatting a phrase in bold using the number sign. They demonstrate their attempts using the name of the sign instead of the sign itself, but they are not satisfied with the result. They also inquire about the function of the double number sign and how to properly use the long arrow symbol. The expert provides a summary of the proper commands and symbols to use for formatting in LaTeX.
mech-eng
Would you please explain
#: number sign shortly ns
1. How can I put a two-word phrase into bold type using number sign? I try to demonstrate it with using name of sign instead of sign itself.
nsns I come nsns

Above will appear as ## I come ## but I want it seem properly, abstract and all bold.
I know this nsns I nsns nsns come nssn but this is not practical.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
nsns\textrm{ I come }nsns ##\longrightarrow \textrm{ I come }##

Likes mech-eng
fresh_42 said:
nsns\textrm{ I come }nsns ##\longrightarrow \textrm{ I come }##

upload_2017-4-16_21-30-5.png

But in the above you put longrightarrow code into ##, but longrightarrow appears out of it. Would you explain this?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
View attachment 195062

But in the above you put longrightarrow code into ##, but longrightarrow appears out of it. Would you explain this?

Thank you.
It isn't out of it, it starts right before the arrow and ends after \textrm{ }. Since there are no other mathematical symbols, only text, it might appear as outside.

Likes mech-eng
fresh_42 said:
nsns\textrm{ I come }nsns longrightarrow ##\ \textrm{ I come }##
fresh_42 said:
It isn't out of it, it starts right before the arrow and ends after \textrm{ }. Since there are no other mathematical symbols, only text, it might appear as outside.
Long arrow does not work now. Would you explain how this happens and function of the double #?

\longarrow ##\textrm{ I come }##[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

You can also write nsnsI\ comensns which gives ##I\ come##. The space remains when preceeded by a backslash but you still keep the italic (variable notation).

Likes mech-eng

1. What is Latex and how is it different from other text editing tools?

Latex is a typesetting software used for creating professional and high-quality documents. It is different from other text editing tools in that it uses a markup language instead of a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) interface. This allows for precise control over the layout and formatting of the document.

2. What are number signs and how are they used for emphasis in Latex?

Number signs, also known as pound signs or hashtags, are used in Latex to indicate emphasis in text. They are typically used before and after a word or phrase to give it a bold appearance. For example, #bold#.

3. Can I use number signs for emphasis in any font style?

No, number signs can only be used for emphasis in fonts that have a bold version available. If the font does not have a bold version, the number signs will not have any effect on the emphasis of the text.

4. Are there any limitations to using number signs for emphasis in Latex?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using number signs for emphasis in Latex. Firstly, they cannot be used for emphasis within math environments. Additionally, they cannot be used within other Latex commands or in the argument of a command.

5. How can I learn more about using number signs for emphasis in Latex?

To learn more about using number signs for emphasis in Latex, you can consult the official Latex documentation or online tutorials. There are also many books and guides available that specifically cover formatting and styling in Latex, including the use of number signs for emphasis.