Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bollywood Movies: Thoughts and Experiences

1. May 11, 2004 #1
    Do you watch 'Bollywood' films? Do you think they're a rip-off? :yuck: :grumpy: Or are they great for comedy value :rofl: (whether intentionally or not :wink: ) ? If you've watched one, you've seen them all? :surprise:

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, don't bad mouth the bollywood movies, I happen to love them! :devil: They're even going to remake a bunch of European movies I heard the other day (including some Dutch (didn't know we (the Dutch) had movies worth remaking)).

You just need to know which ones to watch, generally the ones with good dancers and singers. The stories are all pretty much the same and the swing around point is predictably in the middle after 1.5 hours at the time of intermission :rolleyes: but still, the stories are nice.

Hum dil de chuke sanam is absolutely favorite.. :redface:

4. May 12, 2004 #3
    I used to watch lots of Indian Movies when I was around 3 or 4 years old. Why? It was the only thing on TV then. I have a vague memory of the experience. To me, it was just the same thing over and over again: the dancing, the love story, the bad guy, the death of the lover (usually male), and a fiery funeral at the end of the movie. Of course, I was very young then and did not (still do not!) understand the Indian language. It must have been entertaining because I chose to watch these movies over playing hide-and-seek with my neighbours.

5. May 12, 2004 #4
    Lol...sorry to get you upset :shy:

Who are your favourite actors/actresses? ... Sharukh Khan and Kajol for sure! Especially when they're acting together....
    ...ah!...Kajol.... :redface:

6. May 12, 2004 #5

Njorl

Science Advisor

We get a foreign language TV station that plays Indian shows in the mornings. All I ever see is this series that seems to be stories from the Hindu religion, community affairs and talent shows. The dancing is very nice. The singing ... :eek: ... The UN should pass a resolution prohibiting Indian women from singing. I'm sorry. It makes me want to shove the handiest amorphous goo into my ears. It makes me want to run, hide, surrender or talk! I'll do anything! Please just make it stop!

Njorl

7. May 12, 2004 #6
    haaa![sharp intake of breath] :eek:

Monique won't like that :D

There are some beautiful women-singers though - just last night I was watching this film on tv - 'The Substitute Killer' i think it was called with Chao Yan Fat (sry abt spelin) - surprisingly enough there was an indian women singing in the backgriund as he walked around in an oriental (chinese/japanese?) market. Was nice mood-music.

8. May 12, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:grumpy: :smile:

You must like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham :smile:

now.. Njorl :bugeye: it must just be that you don't know the language
    I forgive you, a little treat: Aankhon ki gustakhiyan
    plus the lyrics :biggrin: :

9. May 12, 2004 #8
    Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham! The most moving moment is when his brother comes into the house and that man starts singing in the background - "jisthe-ho janeme" i think (means ur the body I am the soul?) - brings a tear to my eye everytime.

10. May 12, 2004 #9
    I have both eyes BTW 'D

11. May 12, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know! It's "Jism tu jaan mein, teri pehchaan mein" (In knowing you, body and soul) SEE the movies aren't that bad?! And the moment in the shopping mall where the mother and son get reunited again? :bugeye: :cry:

12. May 12, 2004 #11
    Yeah...very god acting on their part...I made this thread for fun-I was poking fun the Bollywod movies cos half the time I'm laughing when I watch 'em (rarely). But some are good - good and bad bits mixed in. But Y?..Y?..Y? distroy the movies by recycling old material (both indian and non-indian)? I will never understand...

13. May 12, 2004 #12
    I've gotta ask ... favourite actors/actresses?

14. May 12, 2004 #13
    Thank you Monique! It's been aaages since I heard that song - had video [nice video2]- lost it. Brings back memories from almost exactly three years ago....

BTW - what does the chorus mean?

15. May 12, 2004 #14
    oh my hat!! I cant believe u guyz watch bollywood movies. they are utterly repulsive, same story--- over and over again... usually a tear jerker if that shahruk khan guy is involved. I cant stand them!! my mom is a bollywood buff and its frightnening how much she likes them. The only one that deserved some form of respect was Lagaan. that was wikid. and u know wot, I feel like throwing up when they do those coreographed dances. BLAHHHHHH.

16. May 12, 2004 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That little chorus:
    and the song: K3G sad

kabhii khushii kabhii gam
    In times of happiness, in times of sadness,
    na judaa ho.nge gam
    we shall not be separated
    In times of happiness, in times of sadness
    kya bebasii hai yeh kya majbuuriyaa.n
    What helplessness is this, what powerlessness!
    ham paas hai.n phir bhii kitniii hai.n duuriyaa.n
    We're close, yet how great are the distances between us!
    kya bebasii hai yeh kya majbuuriyaa.n
    What helplessness is this, what powerlessness!
    ham paas hai.n phir bhii kitniii hai.n duuriyaa.n
    We're close, yet how great are the distances between us!
    jism tuu jaan mai.n terii pahachaan me.n
    In knowing you, body and soul,
    milke bhii na mile.n yeh hai kaisa bharam
    we meet and yet we don't come together; how have we wandered astray?
    yeh hai tere karam
    This is your doing (what you have merited)
    In times of happiness, in times of sadness,
    na judaa ho.nge gam
    we shall not be separated
    In times of happiness, in times of sadness

And mooberrymarz? Some people like horror, others opera, comedy, action, science fiction, romance.. I guess a romantic soul is needed to appreciate those bollywood movies (although they also produce horror/action).

17. May 12, 2004 #16
    You mean 'The Replacement Killers' with Chow-Yun Fat. Great action movie.

18. May 12, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't really have favorites, but I actually don't like Shahrukh khan and Kajol *ducks* :uhh: ofcourse aishwarya is wonderfull for her fashial expressions, abishek is cute, so is hrithik :redface:

19. May 12, 2004 #18
    "You mean 'The Replacement Killers' with Chow-Yun Fat. Great action movie."
    Thanks The_Professional. Great movie.

How did I know you were going to say Hrithik?...lol...Good actor- jus a Italics(little) OTT for me - but it's not his acting you're thinking of when you're looking @ him r u?...lol ...jus kiddin :D

Aishwarya - I tend not to even mention (and I sometimes forget) that she is gorgeous and good at acting - it goes without saying!!! That twisted face she made in the first song with the playing cards in Devdas was funny &)

So tell me [ - if it's not too presumptious of me for asking - ] how come you're soo into all things Indian? What first got you interested? [I'm assuming you're not Indian - please don't take offence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

20. May 13, 2004 #19
    hah. yeah monique, thats true. u do need a romantic soul to appreciate those type of movies. I love horror movies, if they make a bollywood horror I might just change my mind bout those movies. :approve: Wot horror movie have they released recently... yeah, i also dont like sharuhk and kajol. My favourite of them all is Preity Zinta... as for the guyz, i think Salman kahn is pretty good looking. he's a bad driver though,... can u believe he got away with riding over homeless people??. :grumpy: Wot a chop!!! And is true that hritik has six fingers?/

21. May 13, 2004 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol, there are a lot of things I like, not just Indian things :smile: it's been fun memorizing the lyrics to those songs since the language is so wildly different :) my previous Indian roommate & friends who were quite traditional would be to blame :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?