Bollywood Movies: Thoughts and Experiences

In summary, Bollywood movies are a popular form of entertainment that offer a unique blend of music, dance, and drama. They often explore themes such as love, family, and social issues, with extravagant sets and colorful costumes. Viewers have a range of experiences with Bollywood films, from feeling emotionally moved to simply enjoying the catchy songs and lively dance numbers. Despite some criticism for being overly formulaic, Bollywood movies continue to captivate audiences around the world with their vibrant storytelling and larger-than-life characters.
quddusaliquddus
Do you watch 'Bollywood' films? Do you think they're a rip-off? :yuck: :grumpy: Or are they great for comedy value :rofl: (whether intentionally or not :wink: ) ? If you've watched one, you've seen them all? :surprise:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, don't bad mouth the bollywood movies, I happen to love them! :devil: They're even going to remake a bunch of European movies I heard the other day (including some Dutch (didn't know we (the Dutch) had movies worth remaking)).

You just need to know which ones to watch, generally the ones with good dancers and singers. The stories are all pretty much the same and the swing around point is predictably in the middle after 1.5 hours at the time of intermission :rolleyes: but still, the stories are nice.

Hum dil de chuke sanam is absolutely favorite.. :redface:

I used to watch lots of Indian Movies when I was around 3 or 4 years old. Why? It was the only thing on TV then. I have a vague memory of the experience. To me, it was just the same thing over and over again: the dancing, the love story, the bad guy, the death of the lover (usually male), and a fiery funeral at the end of the movie. Of course, I was very young then and did not (still do not!) understand the Indian language. It must have been entertaining because I chose to watch these movies over playing hide-and-seek with my neighbours.

Monique said:
Hey, don't bad mouth the bollywood movies, I happen to love them! :devil: They're even going to remake a bunch of European movies I heard the other day (including some Dutch (didn't know we (the Dutch) had movies worth remaking)).

You just need to know which ones to watch, generally the ones with good dancers and singers. The stories are all pretty much the same and the swing around point is predictably in the middle after 1.5 hours at the time of intermission :rolleyes: but still, the stories are nice.

Hum dil de chuke sanam is absolutely favorite.. :redface:

Lol...sorry to get you upset :shy:

Who are your favourite actors/actresses? ... Sharukh Khan and Kajol for sure! Especially when they're acting together...
...ah!...Kajol... :redface:

We get a foreign language TV station that plays Indian shows in the mornings. All I ever see is this series that seems to be stories from the Hindu religion, community affairs and talent shows. The dancing is very nice. The singing ... :eek: ... The UN should pass a resolution prohibiting Indian women from singing. I'm sorry. It makes me want to shove the handiest amorphous goo into my ears. It makes me want to run, hide, surrender or talk! I'll do anything! Please just make it stop!

Njorl

Njorl said:
We get a foreign language TV station that plays Indian shows in the mornings. All I ever see is this series that seems to be stories from the Hindu religion, community affairs and talent shows. The dancing is very nice. The singing ... :eek: ... The UN should pass a resolution prohibiting Indian women from singing. I'm sorry. It makes me want to shove the handiest amorphous goo into my ears. It makes me want to run, hide, surrender or talk! I'll do anything! Please just make it stop!

Njorl

haaa![sharp intake of breath] :eek:

Monique won't like that :D

There are some beautiful women-singers though - just last night I was watching this film on tv - 'The Substitute Killer' i think it was called with Chao Yan Fat (sry abt spelin) - surprisingly enough there was an indian women singing in the backgriund as he walked around in an oriental (chinese/japanese?) market. Was nice mood-music.

quddusaliquddus said:
Lol...sorry to get you upset :shy:
:grumpy: :smile:

Who are your favourite actors/actresses? ... Sharukh Khan and Kajol for sure! Especially when they're acting together...
...ah!...Kajol... :redface:
You must like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham :smile:

now.. Njorl :bugeye: it must just be that you don't know the language
I forgive you, a little treat: http://home.student.uva.nl/monique.vandervoet/aankhonki.mp3"
plus the lyrics :biggrin: :
Aankhon Ki Gustakhiyan Maaf Hon(Repeat)
Ek Tuk Tumhe Dekhtein Hain,
Jo Baat Kehna Chahe Zubaan, Tumse Ye Woh Kehtein Hain,
Aankhon Ki Sharmo Haya Maaf Ho,
Tumhe Dekh Ke Jhukti Hain, Uthi Aankhen Jo Baat Na Keh Saki
Jhuki Aankhen Woh Kehteein Hain,
Aankhon Ki Gustakhiyan Maaf Hon

Stanza Kaajal Ka Ek Til Tumhare Labon Pe Laga Doon,
Haan Chanda Aur Sooraj Ki Nazron Se Tumko Bacha Loon,
Hoh Palkon Ki Chilman Mein Aao Main Tumko Chupa Loon,
Khayalon Ki Ye Shokhiyan Maaf Hon,
Har Dam Tumhe Sochtien Hain, Jab Hosh Mein Hota Hai Jahan,
Madhosh Ye Karti Hai,
Aankhon Ki Sharmo Haya Maaf Ho

Ye Zindagi Aap Ki Hi Amanat Rahegi, Hey Hey
Dil Mein Sada Aapki Hi Mohabbat Rahegi, Hey Hey
In Sanson Ko Aapki Hi Zaroorat Rahegi,
Is Dil Ki Nadaaniyan Maaf Hon,
Ye Meri Kahan Sunti Hain,
Ye Pal Pal Jo Hote Hain Bekal Sanam, Toh Sapne Naye Bunti Hain
Hmm Aankhon Ki, Aankhon Ki,
Gustakhiyan, SharmoHaya, Maaf Hon

Last edited by a moderator:
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham! The most moving moment is when his brother comes into the house and that man starts singing in the background - "jisthe-ho janeme" i think (means ur the body I am the soul?) - brings a tear to my eye everytime.

I have both eyes BTW 'D

I know! It's "Jism tu jaan mein, teri pehchaan mein" (In knowing you, body and soul) SEE the movies aren't that bad?! And the moment in the shopping mall where the mother and son get reunited again? :bugeye: :cry:

Yeah...very god acting on their part...I made this thread for fun-I was poking fun the Bollywod movies cos half the time I'm laughing when I watch 'em (rarely). But some are good - good and bad bits mixed in. But Y?..Y?..Y? distroy the movies by recycling old material (both indian and non-indian)? I will never understand...

I've got to ask ... favourite actors/actresses?

Thank you Monique! It's been aaages since I heard that song - had video [nice video2]- lost it. Brings back memories from almost exactly three years ago...

BTW - what does the chorus mean?

oh my hat! I can't believe u guyz watch bollywood movies. they are utterly repulsive, same story--- over and over again... usually a tear jerker if that shahruk khan guy is involved. I can't stand them! my mom is a bollywood buff and its frightnening how much she likes them. The only one that deserved some form of respect was Lagaan. that was wikid. and u know wot, I feel like throwing up when they do those coreographed dances. BLAHHHHHH.

Last edited:
That little chorus:
and the song: http://home.student.uva.nl/monique.vandervoet/k3gsad.mp3"

kabhii khushii kabhii gam
In times of happiness, in times of sadness,
na judaa ho.nge gam
we shall not be separated
In times of happiness, in times of sadness
kya bebasii hai yeh kya majbuuriyaa.n
What helplessness is this, what powerlessness!
ham paas hai.n phir bhii kitniii hai.n duuriyaa.n
We're close, yet how great are the distances between us!
kya bebasii hai yeh kya majbuuriyaa.n
What helplessness is this, what powerlessness!
ham paas hai.n phir bhii kitniii hai.n duuriyaa.n
We're close, yet how great are the distances between us!
jism tuu jaan mai.n terii pahachaan me.n
In knowing you, body and soul,
milke bhii na mile.n yeh hai kaisa bharam
we meet and yet we don't come together; how have we wandered astray?
yeh hai tere karam
This is your doing (what you have merited)
In times of happiness, in times of sadness,
na judaa ho.nge gam
we shall not be separated
In times of happiness, in times of sadness

And mooberrymarz? Some people like horror, others opera, comedy, action, science fiction, romance.. I guess a romantic soul is needed to appreciate those bollywood movies (although they also produce horror/action).

Last edited by a moderator:
quddusaliquddus said:
There are some beautiful women-singers though - just last night I was watching this film on tv - 'The Substitute Killer' i think it was called with Chao Yan Fat (sry abt spelin) - surprisingly enough there was an indian women singing in the backgriund as he walked around in an oriental (chinese/japanese?) market. Was nice mood-music.

You mean 'The Replacement Killers' with Chow-Yun Fat. Great action movie.

quddusaliquddus said:
I've got to ask ... favourite actors/actresses?
Don't really have favorites, but I actually don't like Shahrukh khan and Kajol *ducks* :uhh: ofcourse aishwarya is wonderfull for her fashial expressions, abishek is cute, so is hrithik :redface:

"You mean 'The Replacement Killers' with Chow-Yun Fat. Great action movie."
Thanks The_Professional. Great movie.

How did I know you were going to say Hrithik?...lol...Good actor- jus a Italics(little) OTT for me - but it's not his acting you're thinking of when you're looking @ him r u?...lol ...jus kiddin :D

Aishwarya - I tend not to even mention (and I sometimes forget) that she is gorgeous and good at acting - it goes without saying! That twisted face she made in the first song with the playing cards in Devdas was funny &)

So tell me [ - if it's not too presumptious of me for asking - ] how come you're soo into all things Indian? What first got you interested? [I'm assuming you're not Indian - please don't take offence!]

hah. yeah monique, that's true. u do need a romantic soul to appreciate those type of movies. I love horror movies, if they make a bollywood horror I might just change my mind bout those movies. :approve: Wot horror movie have they released recently... yeah, i also don't like sharuhk and kajol. My favourite of them all is Preity Zinta... as for the guyz, i think Salman kahn is pretty good looking. he's a bad driver though,... can u believe he got away with riding over homeless people??. :grumpy: Wot a chop! And is true that hritik has six fingers?/

quddusaliquddus said:
So tell me [ - if it's not too presumptious of me for asking - ] how come you're soo into all things Indian? What first got you interested? [I'm assuming you're not Indian - please don't take offence!]
lol, there are a lot of things I like, not just Indian things :smile: it's been fun memorizing the lyrics to those songs since the language is so wildly different :) my previous Indian roommate & friends who were quite traditional would be to blame :rolleyes:

Back in the 40's, 50's and to a lesser extent the 60's, Hollywood used to make a lot of movies crammed with wonderful musical and dance numbers staring the likes of Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Gene Kelly, and Debbie Reynolds. Then, all of a sudden, these films became uncool, just about the time that our fascination with violence picked up. Bollywood has taken over those reins, and therefore gets the thumbs up from me.

Hi!

Hey, mooberrymarz, how can you not like hindi movies (Bollywood!)? I kinda didn't like them efore but now I'm hooked! In the last couple months, I've watched like 5 or 6 of them! They really are good if you put them in context. You must understand that they're not Hollywood movies which entertain with storyline and the various twists that exist in them - the entertainment in Bollywood is the OTT nature of the films. They're much more reflective of what cinema is suppose to be -escapism. Hell, if I want escapism, I rather watch K3G with that insanely rich family providing entertainment rather than some Hollywood movie depicting a middle-class urban family. geddit?

Anyhows - my personal thing 'bout hindi movies. I really love Mahima Choudary: she's like super-duper hot! I watched "Dil Hai Tumhara" just for her and "bagbhan" would never have been half as good without her (for eye-candy at least-the movie was ab fab!) And Aishwariya...aaaaaaaaahhh! I think that says it all!

Also, the South African public broadcaster is screening Bollywood movies every week down here (even though only 2% of the population is Indian!) and the broadcaster is saying that rating are going through the roof!

Also, I watched "1942-A Love Story" last week with Manisha Koirala and Anil Kapoor - that was a good movie and I know that Manisha acts in a lot of good movies!

BTW Monique, have you watched Kal Ho Naa Ho or the new one (at least new in SA) Main Hoon Na? Apparently, they're quite good!

Oh and Njorl, What are you smoking? Indian ladies DEFINETLY can sing! Don't tell me that Lata Mangeshkar's voice is anything short of fabulous. And Don't know if you know that song form "Devdas" call 'Dola Re." The song is freakin' amazing!

Good, someone to back me up :biggrin: the thing about the movies is that they tell a life story, they start when they are in their teens and it shows them struggeling with love and life, making decisions that affect their life. The family is central. The richness with the songs and dancing, including the dreamy nature of those interludes more than make up for the 'lack of' storyline. The only one I didn't like was Taal with Aish.

shahil, you ask how i can not like hindi movies... simple. they are soooo boring and take forever to get to the point. I don't have a lot of patience and am not really into romantic movies (yes, i am a cynic).. so I guess that would make me very much anti bollywood. We all have different tastes, but watching a bollywood movie to me would be like eating a marmite and vingar cookie. BLLLAAAAHHHHH! Its cool that u are interested in that kinda stuff, but its not for everyone...especially ppl like me. : )

I always regretted the Nehru jacket came and went before my time. :frown: My older brothers had them, and they looked really sharp. For some reason though, they always smelled like pot.

Njorl

mooberrymarz said:
shahil, you ask how i can not like hindi movies... simple. they are soooo boring and take forever to get to the point. I don't have a lot of patience and am not really into romantic movies...

understood! but monique has a point - the hindi movies ARE suppose to be like that and that's where their power lies. About a year ago, I wouldn't be caught dead watching a hindi movie but once you realize what the movies are trying to portray ie. the good valued themes that they almost always have, then you realize that they are marvellous. With all the cr*p going on the world today (take a trip to the politics forum), its good to know that there is some good existing out there.

As for the long and boring bit - I suggest watching a couple of movies with Aishwariya, Mahima or (as you said earlier) Preity. Watching them for three hours is NO problem with me! :shy: Thats how I got hooked! hehe!

And the patience thing? Hard to believe since you're South African. Waiting for web pages to load up with our beautiful Telkom provided lines should teach anyone how to be patient! :wink: :wink: :uhh: :rofl:

Njorl said:
I always regretted the Nehru jacket came and went before my time. :frown: My older brothers had them, and they looked really sharp. For some reason though, they always smelled like pot.

Njorl

Well, the original ones were made of hemp after all!

I think Shahil is right. They're meant to be escapist.

quddusaliquddus said:
I think Shahil is right. They're meant to be escapist.

Agreed! BUT don't right of Bollywood as pure escapism. There have been a lot of really topical and good movies that have come out of Bollwywood. Take what I said earlier "1942-A Love Story" (Oh I forgot to say that although tis movie is 10 years old, the soundtrack is still utterly amazing!) and "Bombay" also with Manish Koirala. Even the modern "Bagbhan" drove home a very good point.

I think that you can't label Bollywood pure escapism. Its a value teaching genre which shows the "goodness" in the world and tries to enforce a moral point. ANd that's where their power lies to me!

Do you guys reckon the Bollywood viewers actually want the same stuff again and again ... or do you reckon people @ bollywood don't know how do anything else. I klnow it's a generalisation - but it's not [Italics]that[Italics] far from the truth: Bolywood gives us the same story again and again - most of the time.

I like bollywood. But they could do sooooooo much better if they wanted/could. Non-typical story is a exception not the rule.

Last edited:
yeah... i do think they can't seem to think of anything new... quite sad really. I think that, the form of escapism that bollywood brings is very unhealthy for people in india(especially the poorer uneducated ones). I've heard some crazy stories of wot happens there, my friend is from tamil nadu and she said that in one rajinikanth film, the movie ended with him dying and his fans burnt the cinema down. ja

however i do think they could do better,..

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Even Hollywood (typical that is) uses this formula. By making movies that follow the same pattern as the one's that cme before - you're guarenteed a movie that will make money and become a classic (coz it's following exactly the pattern of a renound classic!)

Alos, as with Hollywood - you get your off-the-track movies (eg. Monsoon Wedding, A Tale Of A Naughty Girl, Fire) which deal with different issues and don't follow Bollywood Movies 101.

At the end it all boils down to a cultural thing. Why do you want Bollywood to change? Is it really necessary for the movies to make "sense?" Why compare a typical Bollywood Feature to a typical Hollywood feature. They are different genre's and why do you want either to resemble the other. It's just not necessary and I think this point should be accepted and not debated! :smile:

Hey I'm not debating. I'm just stating a fact (and answering ququwhatshisnames question) : bollywood movies are a quite retarded. yes, u get fire, and monsoon wedding but I think if I'm going to pay for entertainment... i;d better be getting it. I don't find sharukh's little dilemmas particularly entertaining. And its not a cultural thing. Ever been to India|?, do u have any Indian friends? ( and I don't mean South African indians who don't know the difference between religion and ethnic groups)?? if u have then u'd know wot I'm talking about. I would also not compare bollywood to hollywood, that would be pointless. its all boils down to entertainment and art. And another fact... it is "broke" this is of course my persona view...

1. What makes Bollywood movies unique compared to other film industries?

Bollywood movies are known for their larger-than-life musical numbers, colorful costumes, and over-the-top storylines. They also often incorporate elements of romance, drama, and comedy, making them a complete entertainment package.

2. How has Bollywood evolved over the years?

Bollywood has evolved significantly since its early days in the 1910s. It has become more globally recognized and has incorporated more modern themes and storytelling techniques. Additionally, there has been a shift towards more realistic and socially relevant films in recent years.

3. What are some common themes in Bollywood movies?

Bollywood movies often explore themes of love, family, and friendship. They also frequently touch upon social issues such as poverty, gender equality, and religious harmony. Many Bollywood films also have a strong emphasis on traditional values and cultural traditions.

4. How do Bollywood movies portray Indian culture?

Bollywood movies are a reflection of Indian culture and often showcase the country's diverse customs, traditions, and beliefs. They also highlight the importance of family, community, and spirituality in Indian society.

5. What impact has Bollywood had on the global film industry?

Bollywood has had a significant impact on the global film industry, with its movies being watched and appreciated by audiences all over the world. It has also influenced other film industries, with many Hollywood movies now incorporating elements of Bollywood, such as dance and music, into their productions.