Must-See Bollywood Movies: Comedy, Romance, Action, Suspense

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: I don't know why.In summary, the bollywood movies that are really good are "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai," "Zubeidaa," "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham," "Dil Se," "Asoka," "Devdas," "Kaho Na Pyar Hai," "Awara," "Lagaan," and "Devgaan." The Dutch site that Monique found sells them at a sharp price so she's going to order a couple. The top 10 that Monique suggested are "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai," "Zubeidaa," "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham," "Dil Se," "Asoka,"
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which bollywood movies are really good and thus are must-sees? Comedy/romance/action/suspense. I found a Dutch site, which sells them at a sharp price so I'll order a couple.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this top 10?

1. "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" ("Something Happens!"), 1998 Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol and Rani Mukherjee in a love triangle with genuine heart. The theme song is so catchy that it's become Malaysia's unofficial national anthem. Go figure.

2. "Zubeidaa," 2001 Based on the true story of an extraordinary young Muslim woman who defied tradition to marry a Hindu prince in the 1930s, this film earned honors for its star Karisma Kapoor and supporting actress Rekha. Gorgeous period music and costumes.

3. "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham" ("Sometimes Happy, Sometimes Sad"), 2001 Unflinching melodrama and lavish dance numbers from one of the most powerful star casts in recent memory: Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik Roshan, Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol and Kareena Kapoor. A few truly awful moments, but some glorious dancing makes up for them. Ask for it by its nickname, "K3G."

4. "Dil Se" ("From the Heart"), 1998 Manisha Koirala is a suicide bomber and Shah Rukh Khan is an intrigued journalist. It's not as outlandish as it sounds, though; stirring music and dance sequences are perfectly captured by master cinematographer Santosh Sivan (director of "The Terrorist"). Directed by Mani Ratnam.

5. "Asoka," 2001 After "The Terrorist," a critic's darling and festival favorite, Santosh Sivan decided to try his hand at Bollywood fare. This film, based on the life of India's first Buddhist king, makes a powerful statement on nonviolence. Oh, and Kareena Kapoor looks great in a wet sari, too.

6. "Devdas," 2002 Shah Rukh Khan chews up some lavish scenery as the doomed, alcoholic lover Devdas, whose family forbids his love affair with Paro (a luminous Aishwarya Rai).

7. "Mughal-e-Azam," 1960 This tale of a Moghul prince and his love affair with the beautiful slave girl Anarkali is expressed beautifully with poetic Urdu dialogue and enhanced by Naushad Ali's classically inspired songs. A tragic gem.

8. "Kaho Na Pyar Hai" ("Tell Me You Love Me"), 2001 The mass hysteria that surrounded the debut of muscular actor Hrithik Roshan was a pop-culture phenomenon. When you see him dance to "Ek pal ka jeena," you'll understand why.

9. "Awara" ("The Tramp"), 1951 Raj Kapoor's touching portrayal of a Chaplinesque figure who turns against his family is set to memorable, bittersweet songs that remain classics today.

10. "Lagaan" ("Land Tax"), 2001 Aamir Khan is a proud villager who stands up against the British in this Academy Award-nominated film. This one's also at Blockbuster.

Hmm... You got me here Mita Monique, I've seen all of them, ALL :)

First tell me do you want to select any two of them or you can take others beside the list?

Which type of movies you love? story-major or music-major ?

Actually never mind the top 10 I just gave.. the ones I didn't see, aren't available.

I like the movies with lots of music, but with a story line that is not too cliche.

The actors I like: Hrithik Roshan, Abhishek Bachchan, Ajay Devgan..

So I was thinking Kaho na pyaar hai, Lajja, Saathya, Zakhm, Dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge, is Om jai jagdish a good movie?

How about some good comedy, the only comedy I remember seeing was Ek aur ek g... (one and one is eleven) and American Desi.

ah, eleven is gyarah :)

Hmm... then...

Zubeidaa is very nice movie. At least in this top 10 I think this can be judged as Classic one! Songs are great! I think you know A.R.Rahman one of the best composers of the world, has done few exellent musics here :)

"Ek or Ek Egara" oh...that is really very funny movie of Govinda and Sanjoy! My fav.

You may like new romantic movie Ishk Visk a very good teenage romance :)

And of Hritik Koi mil geya, you may find it like E.T of Spielberg...but this is fine I think...at least Hritiks masterpiece! He is most apprieciated for his acting in this movei.

Serious movie "Devgaan"s "Company" is good too.

"Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" is very popular among our Univ. friends :)

You may see Dil Chahata hai Amir Khan's one of the bests!

and of course Lagaan my fav. as there is Amir and A.R.Rahman's great music :)

How about some movies that are in other countries? Mujhse dosti Karoge was in London, Hum dil de chuke sanam in Italy, Chalte chalte in Greece..

Oh! Mughal-e-Azam & Awara are very old movie (Black & White) new generation has not seen it much...but my father likes them very much...and he've collected many of them!

Oh! An old hero Dilip Kumaar of Mughal-e-Azam is also liked by Me and My father :)

Thanks Moni! Yes, I already saw Company, Kuch kuch hota hai and Lagaan :) good movies :)

Any movies you didn't like? I really don't like Taal, the style is too modern.

Originally posted by Monique
How about some movies that are in other countries? Mujhse dosti Karoge was in London, Hum dil de chuke sanam in Italy, Chalte chalte in Greece..

Hmm... movies those are made in other countries are not bad! Hum dil de chuke sanam is really good one of Ash, Salmaan & Devgaan!

Sahrook and Rani's Chalte Chalte is a movie of good story and song!

But my fav. is Pardess made in U.S and from my part a must see movie :)

Originally posted by Monique
Thanks Moni! Yes, I already saw Company, Kuch kuch hota hai and Lagaan :) good movies :)

Any movies you didn't like? I really don't like Taal, the style is too modern.

You are welcome :)

TAAL you may not like the story...but what about the songs? Those are also from A.R.Rahman and the video shots of the first 2 songs was awsome :)

From my part:
I don't like Sahrook much...he is boring day by day! Hritik is doing better now :) Devgaan is really a good actor :)

Ash is very beautiful :) I like her face expression...but at first she made few flop movies which I don't like at all :(

But if you see Amir Khan...he only works 1 or 2 movies in a year and those are master pieces... with his great acting :)
I like most of his movies :)

What is "bollywood"?

It's from Bombay ---> Bollywood
The state of India where Hindi movies are made!
Came from "Hollywood" ;)

1. What are some must-see Bollywood movies in the comedy genre?

Some popular Bollywood comedy movies include "Andaz Apna Apna", "Hera Pheri", "3 Idiots", "Chennai Express", and "Welcome".

2. Can you recommend any Bollywood romance movies?

Some romantic Bollywood movies that are worth watching are "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge", "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai", "Jab We Met", "Veer-Zaara", and "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam".

3. Which Bollywood movies have the best action scenes?

Bollywood is known for its over-the-top action sequences, and some must-see action movies include "Dhoom", "Bang Bang", "Singham", "War", and "Baahubali: The Beginning".

4. Are there any Bollywood movies that combine multiple genres?

Yes, there are many Bollywood movies that combine multiple genres, such as "Lagaan" (comedy, romance, drama), "Dil Chahta Hai" (comedy, romance, drama), and "Don" (action, suspense, romance).

5. What are some popular Bollywood suspense movies?

Some highly-rated Bollywood suspense movies are "Andhadhun", "Kahaani", "Talaash", "Drishyam", and "Gupt: The Hidden Truth".