Calculating Bolometric Correction for Cepheid Variables

• Thread starter toph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correction
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the bolometric correction for a cepheid variable with only its period known. It is mentioned that other factors, such as spectral type, must be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the correction. It is also noted that the W-Virginis stars, which are cepheids of Population II, have different characteristics than classical cepheids of Population I. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about estimating the absolute visual magnitude from just the period of a cepheid variable, which remains unresolved.
toph
hi

can the bolometric correction be calculated if all i know of a cepheid variables properties are its period? for example, if the cepheid variable has a period of 3 days i can use a period-luminosity relationship to calculate the luminosity, from here i can then calculate the bolometric magnitude. my question really is this, can i then calculate the bolometric correction required to find the absolute visual magnitude? or is there an easier way to get to the absolute visual magnitude from just the information given.

hopefully some one can point me in the right direction, thanks

(this is a question that has come up in one of the books i am reading, so if it is in the wrong forum i appologies)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As far as I know, you need to have photon counts for specific temperatures for the stars that you want to calculate the correction for. This is basically because at a given temperature, there is a photon count we expect to see and a photon count we actually see, the difference is, in part, due to the fact that the detector we use is not sensitive to all wavelengths.

The formula I'm aware of regarding bolometric correction is:

[tex]

BC = 2.5*\log(\frac{N_1}{N_2}) - 10\log(\frac{T_1}{T_2}) - BC_2

[/tex]

where Ni's are photon counts and T's are temperatures. BC2 is the bolometric correction for the second star.

Though, I'm not sure if you need to, but there are other factors worth metioning. For example, the detector used to find the counts above is likely to not only not be sensitive to all wavelengths but is also likely to unintentionally incorporate a bias - it will not be equally sensitive to all wavelengths. There are also other factors such as - are your photon counts subject to interstellar absorption? Not sure if any of this is relevant.

toph said:
hi

can the bolometric correction be calculated if all i know of a cepheid variables properties are its period? for example, if the cepheid variable has a period of 3 days i can use a period-luminosity relationship to calculate the luminosity, from here i can then calculate the bolometric magnitude. my question really is this, can i then calculate the bolometric correction required to find the absolute visual magnitude? or is there an easier way to get to the absolute visual magnitude from just the information given.

hopefully some one can point me in the right direction, thanks

(this is a question that has come up in one of the books i am reading, so if it is in the wrong forum i appologies)
For a Cepheid, if you know nothing but the period, you wouldn't be able to use the period-luminosity relationship to get bolometric magnitude or much of anything, including distance. This is because there are "classical cepheids" of Population I with periods of 2 to 40 days and "W-Virginis Stars" which are cepheids of Population II.

For a given period, the W-Virginis stars are about 1.5 to 2.0 magnitudes less than classical cepheids, so you would at least need a spectral analysis to determine if the star is a Pop I or Pop II cepheid. It was on this particular point that the early (1920's I think) measurements to the Andromeda galaxy showed ~1.1 million Ly when it is actually ~2.2-2.5 million Ly. The first cepheid measurements and period-luminosity relationships were done only on classical cepheids, hence the original error(s).

thank you

that kind of makes sense, i have seen several tables showing the bolometric correction, these vary with spectral type so i can see why the temperature would be important. Do you then know of any way to estimate the absolute visual magnitude from just the peiod of a cepheid variables? I am particularly interested in two stars with periods of 3 and 60 days respectively.

toph said:
thank you

that kind of makes sense, i have seen several tables showing the bolometric correction, these vary with spectral type so i can see why the temperature would be important. Do you then know of any way to estimate the absolute visual magnitude from just the peiod of a cepheid variables? I am particularly interested in two stars with periods of 3 and 60 days respectively.
No I don't, without knowing the spectral type. The W-Virginis (Pop II) cepheids cluster around 18 day periods but some are as short as ~2 days. See:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1991AJ...101.1795M&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

But, it might be safe to assume a 60 day period would be a classical (Pop I) cepheid due to that long period. I'm not sure, but I don't know if any Pop II's with long periods as 60 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of calculating bolometric correction for Cepheid variables?

The bolometric correction for Cepheid variables is used to correct their observed brightness to their true luminosity. This is important in accurately determining their distance from Earth and other physical properties.

2. How is bolometric correction calculated for Cepheid variables?

Bolometric correction is calculated by comparing the observed brightness of a Cepheid variable in different wavelengths to its true luminosity in all wavelengths. This is typically done using a color-magnitude diagram and a theoretical model of the star's atmosphere.

3. Why is the bolometric correction different for different Cepheid variables?

The bolometric correction varies for different Cepheid variables because it is dependent on the star's temperature, chemical composition, and other physical characteristics. These factors affect the distribution of energy emitted in different wavelengths, resulting in different bolometric corrections.

4. Can bolometric correction be used for other types of stars?

Yes, bolometric correction can be calculated for other types of stars, such as main sequence stars and giant stars. However, the methods and models used may be different from those used for Cepheid variables due to their different physical properties.

5. How does the bolometric correction affect the distance measurement of Cepheid variables?

Bolometric correction plays a crucial role in accurately determining the distance of Cepheid variables. Without correcting for their true luminosity, the distance measurement would be underestimated. This is because the apparent brightness of a star is affected by its distance and the amount of light absorbed by interstellar dust along the line of sight.