1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bolometric Magnitude Etc.

1. May 31, 2005 #1

Q: Find an expression for the absolute bolometric magnitude of a star as a function of its effective temperature and radius, which incorporates the solar value of these quantities (BM 4.7, Temp 5780K, radius 6.96E5 km) and not Stefan's constant.

I'm a little lost on this question. I know what Bolometric magnitude is but don't know how to express it explicitly in terms of T and r. maybe I am missing some large concept here, I don't really know. Can someone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Several things to try to answer. First, just because your result won't include [tex]\sigma[/tex] doesn't mean you shouldn't use the Stephan-Boltzmann law. Do you know what that is?

Second, what is the bolometric magnitude? What is the bolometric luminosity?

Finally, how are magnitude systems usually normalized?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?