Converting ANSI to NAS Bolt Specifications: Advice Needed

• Thread starter bigaggie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolt
In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of finding NAS standard bolts with only ANSI format specifications. A website link is provided as a helpful resource for determining the appropriate bolt size. It is recommended to obtain the actual NAS spec for accurate measurements. The main issue is finding the equivalent NAS bolt for an ANSI hole call out.
bigaggie
I need to spec out some bolts according to the NAS standard. The problem is that I only have the dimensions/specifications in ANSI format. Has anyone ever worked with NAS before? I can't find anything to help me figure out what size bolt I need.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe this will help.

http://www.bonaero.com/BABolts.htm#NAS1103

They are aircraft bolts.

Yes, that is exactly the data I was looking for. Thanks a million!

I would highly recommend that if you are really spec'ing out any kind of NAS bolts that you get a hold of the actual spec, not a web site's pared down version that could be who knows how many revisions out of date. There are MANY types of fasteners covered by NAS specs.

Well, thus far the problem has been finding the comparable to NAS fastener to an ANSI hole call out. I have the call outs, I know the thread counts, diameters, etc, that I need. The problem is I couldn't find anywhere that would tell me what they were. They only list NAS 144-158, etc. No conversion chart or anything.

1. What is the difference between ANSI and NAS bolt specifications?

ANSI and NAS are two different standards for bolt specifications. ANSI (American National Standards Institute) is a general standard that applies to a wide range of products, including bolts. NAS (National Aerospace Standard) is a more specific standard that applies specifically to fasteners used in aerospace and aviation industries. The main difference between the two is the level of precision and quality control required for NAS bolts, as they are used in critical applications.

2. Can ANSI bolts be used in place of NAS bolts?

In most cases, yes, ANSI bolts can be used in place of NAS bolts. However, it is important to consult the specific application and industry requirements to ensure that the bolt meets the necessary standards and specifications. In some cases, using a NAS bolt may be necessary for safety and performance reasons.

3. How do I convert ANSI bolt specifications to NAS?

Converting ANSI bolt specifications to NAS can be done by consulting the NAS standard and finding the equivalent specifications. This may include the type of material, thread size and pitch, and other dimensions and tolerances. It is important to ensure that the converted bolt meets all the necessary requirements for the specific application.

4. Are there any benefits to using NAS bolts over ANSI bolts?

In general, NAS bolts are considered to be of higher quality and precision than ANSI bolts. This is due to the stricter standards and quality control measures required for NAS bolts. In critical aerospace and aviation applications, the use of NAS bolts may be necessary for safety and performance reasons.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using NAS bolts?

The main drawback of using NAS bolts is the higher cost. The stricter standards and quality control measures required for NAS bolts result in a higher cost compared to ANSI bolts. In some cases, using NAS bolts may also require specialized tools and equipment, which can add to the overall cost of the project.