Boltzmann distribution - error?

In summary, you are expecting proportionality to E^-1/2 because the extra factor p^2 in the calculation comes from the integration measure p^2 dp dphi dtheta.
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you expect proportionality to E^-1/2 ? What would be your full expression for the Maxwell distribution and why?

I expect that p^2/(2m)=E, so p=(2Em)^1/2 so
dp/dE = proportional to E^-1/2
Maybe px, py, pz, demand a different formula?

I suspect the following, although i haven't really analyzed it in detail:

The distribution f_p used in that calculation is the distribution over the magnitude of p, not the distribution over the three components px, py, pz. So there is an extra factor p^2 due to the integration measure p^2 dp dphi dtheta, and then you integrates over phi/theta. The extra factor p^2 causes an extra factor E , that turns your E^-1/2 into the E^1/2 in the formula.

torquil said:
I suspect the following, although i haven't really analyzed it in detail:

The distribution f_p used in that calculation is the distribution over the magnitude of p, not the distribution over the three components px, py, pz. So there is an extra factor p^2 due to the integration measure p^2 dp dphi dtheta, and then you integrates over phi/theta. The extra factor p^2 causes an extra factor E , that turns your E^-1/2 into the E^1/2 in the formula.
Yes, now I see that it is so. Above in my link is calculation with distrubution of speed v. If I use dn/dv and dv/dE, and f(v) the above is clear.

It was also unclear to me, that distribution of potential energy of gas in vertical tube has not factor E^1/2. Because this factor is a consequence of three dimensions.
Is it OK comparision, or it should be something better for a distribution without additional factor E^1/2?

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the distribution of energy among particles in a system at a given temperature. It is named after Austrian physicist, Ludwig Boltzmann, who first described it in the late 19th century.

2. How is the Boltzmann distribution related to thermodynamics?

The Boltzmann distribution is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it describes the distribution of energy among particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain energy at a given temperature.

3. What is the equation for the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is described by the equation: P(E) = (1/Z) * e^(-E/kT), where P(E) is the probability of a particle having energy E, Z is the partition function, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

4. What is the significance of the Boltzmann constant in the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in physics that relates the average kinetic energy of particles in a system to the temperature of the system. It is used in the Boltzmann distribution to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain energy at a given temperature.

5. How does error affect the Boltzmann distribution?

Error can affect the Boltzmann distribution in a few ways. For example, measurement error in determining the energy of particles can lead to inaccuracies in the distribution. Additionally, errors in experimental conditions, such as temperature or pressure, can also impact the distribution. However, the Boltzmann distribution is a statistical concept and is generally robust to small errors.