1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmann equation problem

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a pure hydrogen hydrogen gas ata tempeature of 10080 K. What is the ratio of the populations of the ground state(n=1) to the first excited state(n=2). Note that the energy difference is 1.634e-18 joules between these two states. At what temperature would both levels have equal populations?

2. Relevant equations

Boltzmann equation: N(B)/N(A)= g(b)/g(a) exp[(E(A)-E(B))/kT
    3. The attempt at a solution
    finding N(B)/N(A) was easy. N(2)/N(1)=2(2)^2/2(1)^2*exp(1.634e-18 joules)/(10080 K)(1.380 *10^-23))= .000031665

I had a difficult time finding the Temperature when both populations are equal. When both populations are equal, does that imply N(a)/N(b) = 1 because N(a)=N(B)?

Now finding the temperature is simple : 1=4 exp(1.634e-18 joules/(T(1.380e-23)) => T= -85411.7 Kelvins.

The only problem is I don't know if I should assume N(B)/N(A) = 1 , just because the temperatures are equal
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you shouldn't assume N(B)/N(A) = 1 because the temperatures are equal.
    You should assume it because you assume that the populations are equal; then you fill in the formula and solve for the temperature where this occurs.

So you have obtained the right answer with the right method but with a wrong way of thought :smile:
  4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    sorry, I meant to say that the populations are equal, so should I assume that N(a)/N(b)=1 since N(a)=N(b)
  5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you got the right answer by the right method and a typo :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?