1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmann Equation-where'd the 3 come from?

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Boltzmann Equation--where'd the 3 come from?

Greetings, I'm a little bit confused about the derivation for the Boltzmann equation for a particle in thermal equilibrium in the Friedman-Robertson-Walker metric. I've been following the exposition in Kolb and Turner, The Early Universe p. 116. I reproduce all the relevant results here.

In particular:
    We are given (K&T, eq 5.5) that for a phase space distribution [tex]f[/tex] the form of the Liouville operator in the FRW model is given by:

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{L}}[f(E,t)] = E\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial E}[/tex]

Further, the number density [tex]n[/tex] is given by an integral over momenta (K&T eq. 5.6):

[tex]n(t) = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p f(E,t)[/tex]

where [tex]g[/tex] is the number of internal degrees of freedom.

The Boltzmann equation, [tex]\hat{\mathbf{L}}[f]= \mathbf{C}[f][/tex], can then be written out by plugging in the above equation for the Liouville operator on the left hand side.

We can then divide by [tex]E[/tex], multiply by [tex]\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}[/tex], and perform a momentum space integral to express the Boltzmann equation in terms of [tex]n[/tex].

Kolb and Turner write the result as:

[tex]\frac{dn}{dt} + 3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}n = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\textbf{C}[f]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]

I'm confused by the factor of 3 in the seccond term and am not sure how this is resolved. I'm also not sure how to treat the energy in the momentum integral--I assume that since [tex]E^2=\mathbf{p}^2+m^2[/tex], one can rewrite the momentum integral in spherical coordinates where the function [tex]f[/tex] is a function of the radial coordinate alone. I assume some integration by parts is necessary, but this still does not account for the factor of 3.

Any help would be appreciated,

Best,
    Flip

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

4. Jul 13, 2005 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read Kolb and Turner's book, but I think you'll find the factor 3 and the rest of that term comes from:
    [tex]\frac{1}{R^3}\frac{d}{dt}(R^3)n [/tex]

Garth

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4
    Re: Boltzmann Equation--where'd the 3 come from?

<deleted>

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Re: Boltzmann Equation--where'd the 3 come from?

A bit late for the one who asked, but perhaps it helps those who have the same problem

[tex]E\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial E} = \hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)][/tex]
    divide by E
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{1}{E}[/tex]
    integrate
    [tex]\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    [tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int d^3p|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{E\partial E} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    use
    [tex]E\partial E=p\partial p[/tex]
    [tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dp|\mathbf{p}|^2|\mathbf{p}|^2\frac{\partial f}{p\partial p} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    [tex]n(t)-\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dpp^3\frac{\partial f}{\partial p} = \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    integration by part:
    [tex]n(t)+\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dp3p^2f= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    [tex]n(t)+3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}\frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int 4\pi dpp^2f= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]
    [tex]n(t)+3\frac{\dot{R}}{R}n(t)= \frac{g}{(2\pi)^3}\int\hat{\mathbf{C}}[f(E,t)]\frac{d^3p}{E}[/tex]

Best,
    stanix

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?