1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmann equation

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1
    There was an equation I saw before and I think it pertains to Boltzmann and thermodynamics. I think it describes the entropy of a system. From what I can remember, it involves the symbol omega to denote micro states, k for a constant, and a logarithm somewhere. Anyways, hopefully some one knows which equation I'm talking about. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3
    Yes, what does the equation you posted mean exactly? So is that equation describing and explaining?

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4
    I might to say, what is that equation explaining and describing?

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

S is entropy which is usually said to be a measure of disorder in the system. The above equation just quantifies this definition in terms of the number of microstate which all correspond to a single macrostate.

7. Jul 14, 2015 #6
    Now how would you define a micro state? Would it be like the number of ways tiny particles can arrange themselves?

8. Jul 14, 2015 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

See here!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook