1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmanns law

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Write down the 3 principles underpinning Boltzmanns law and indicate which of these is incompatible with the quantum theory of gases

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know two...

1. The conservation of energy
    2. Equal probabilities of allowed configurations

But I'm a bit stuck with the third. Can anyone help me out here?

I know that Boltzmann said that it matters which molecule is in which state and that there is no restriction on the number of molecules that can occupy a given state, but I wasn't aware that this is an underpinning principle. If it is, then I would say that this is the one that isn't compatible with the quantum theory of gases due to the indistinguishability issue.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2
    Which Boltzmann law? I think you're thinking of [tex]S = k \ln W[/tex] but they could mean the statistical Boltzmann law, i.e. the distribution of energies of molecules in a gas.
  4. Aug 21, 2007 #3
    Well, I'm assuming that its the principles of statistical mechanics that they're after. As I said, I only know of two 'principles'. I am working on quantum theory though and don't know of any separate principles from Boltzmann for this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?