Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Boltzmanns law

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    Write down the 3 principles underpinning Boltzmanns law and indicate which of these is incompatible with the quantum theory of gases

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know two...

1. The conservation of energy
    2. Equal probabilities of allowed configurations

But I'm a bit stuck with the third. Can anyone help me out here?

I know that Boltzmann said that it matters which molecule is in which state and that there is no restriction on the number of molecules that can occupy a given state, but I wasn't aware that this is an underpinning principle. If it is, then I would say that this is the one that isn't compatible with the quantum theory of gases due to the indistinguishability issue.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2
    Which Boltzmann law? I think you're thinking of [tex]S = k \ln W[/tex] but they could mean the statistical Boltzmann law, i.e. the distribution of energies of molecules in a gas.

4. Aug 21, 2007 #3
    Well, I'm assuming that its the principles of statistical mechanics that they're after. As I said, I only know of two 'principles'. I am working on quantum theory though and don't know of any separate principles from Boltzmann for this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook