Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bombay blood group (hh)

1. May 4, 2015 #1

Suraj M

Gold Member

If an individual has a genotype##I^oI^o## and ##hh## is he considered to be O or bombay blood group?
    Also i read that a person with bombay blood group can donate blood to anyone but can accept only from a person of his blood group, why cant he/she accept blood from O-ve?( is there a H antibody?)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. May 4, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

that answers my second question, but contradicts my teachers statement. :(
    Thank you anyway,
    Anyone for my first question?

5. May 4, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Would that individual be able to accept blood donations from an O-type individual or only from h/h-type individuals?

6. May 5, 2015 #5

Suraj M

Gold Member

he can take from O, probably, but if there are H antibodies then , no!
    My teacher said that There is no H antibody , but wikipedia says that there are..

7. May 5, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Here's a more definitive reference which says there is an H antigen:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2268/

As I read the article more, it says people may have a deficit of the H so I'm looking for a better article to explain it.

I think your teacher meant to say that people with this blood type don't express the H antigen.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. May 6, 2015 #7

Suraj M

Gold Member

I don't feel like trusting that article they say that parabombay blood group have a genotype HH, andthat they have anti-H, which i don't think exists naturally.
    I asked another teacher, he said that though there might not be secifically H antibodies, but there will be some reaction, when blood(Hh/HH) is mixed with bombay blood group blood.

9. May 6, 2015 #8
    For your first question, yes, it is Bombay blood group since O has H not h.
    There are anti-H antibodies according to my teacher who swears by Wikipedia :P

10. May 6, 2015 #9
    you have some interesting Bio questions :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook