Understanding Bombay Blood Group and its Compatibility for Blood Donation

In summary, the article from Wikipedia says that people with this blood type may not express the H antigen, while the teacher who I spoke to said that there may be some reaction when blood from this group is mixed with blood from someone with a Bombay blood group.
Suraj M
Gold Member
If an individual has a genotype##I^oI^o## and ##hh## is he considered to be O or bombay blood group?
Also i read that a person with bombay blood group can donate blood to anyone but can accept only from a person of his blood group, why can't he/she accept blood from O-ve?( is there a H antibody?)

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
that answers my second question, but contradicts my teachers statement. :(
Thank you anyway,
Anyone for my first question?

Suraj M said:
If an individual has a genotype##I^oI^o## and ##hh## is he considered to be O or bombay blood group?

Would that individual be able to accept blood donations from an O-type individual or only from h/h-type individuals?

he can take from O, probably, but if there are H antibodies then , no!
My teacher said that There is no H antibody , but wikipedia says that there are..

Here's a more definitive reference which says there is an H antigen:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2268/

As I read the article more, it says people may have a deficit of the H so I'm looking for a better article to explain it.

I think your teacher meant to say that people with this blood type don't express the H antigen.

Last edited:
I don't feel like trusting that article they say that parabombay blood group have a genotype HH, andthat they have anti-H, which i don't think exists naturally.
I asked another teacher, he said that though there might not be secifically H antibodies, but there will be some reaction, when blood(Hh/HH) is mixed with bombay blood group blood.

For your first question, yes, it is Bombay blood group since O has H not h.
There are anti-H antibodies according to my teacher who swears by Wikipedia :P

you have some interesting Bio questions :)

Likes Suraj M

1. What is the Bombay blood group (hh)?

The Bombay blood group (hh) is a rare blood type that is characterized by the absence of the H antigen on red blood cells, which is a key component of the ABO blood typing system.

2. How is the Bombay blood group (hh) inherited?

The Bombay blood group (hh) is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern, meaning that a person must inherit two copies of the hh gene (one from each parent) in order to have this blood type.

3. What are the characteristics of individuals with the Bombay blood group (hh)?

Individuals with the Bombay blood group (hh) are often referred to as "universal donors" because their blood can be safely transfused to individuals with any other blood type. They also have a higher risk of developing certain health conditions, such as autoimmune diseases and certain types of cancer.

4. How is the Bombay blood group (hh) diagnosed?

The Bombay blood group (hh) is diagnosed through blood typing tests, which look for the presence or absence of the H antigen on red blood cells. In individuals with the Bombay blood group (hh), this antigen is absent, leading to a negative result for ABO blood typing.

5. Can the Bombay blood group (hh) be treated?

There is currently no known treatment for the Bombay blood group (hh). However, individuals with this blood type can safely receive blood transfusions from individuals with the O blood type, which is known to be compatible with the Bombay blood group (hh).