Does a Bomb Dropped from a Plane Explode Directly Below It?

• Thread starter xiphoid
  • Start date
In summary, a bomb dropped from a plane flying at a uniform speed will explode vertically below the plane due to the initial horizontal speed of the bomb being the same as the plane's. This statement remains true even if the plane flies with uniform speed but not horizontally. The theory behind this concept is that, initially, the bomb has the same horizontal speed as the plane or its wings, and neglecting air resistance, maintains that speed until it hits the ground.
xiphoid

Homework Statement

A bomb is dropped from a plane flying horizontally with uniform speed. Show that the bomb will explode vertically below the plane.

Is the statement true if the plane flies with uniform speed but not horizontally?

Homework Equations

Equations of projectile perhaps

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly, if I imagine a bomb being thrown from the front of the airplane, then I would think that this statement is relevant, don't have any idea about the consequences when the bomb will be dropped from the wings to which it is usually being attached...

Theory wise, ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you can safely assume both plane and bomb to be points.

Then what about the theory part, I can only imagine those situations- to convert them into paper is somewhat difficult

I'm not sure what "theory" you are talking about. The main physics point here is that, initially, the bomb has the same horizontal speed as the plane (or its wings!) and, neglecting air resistance, maintains that horizontal speed until it hites the ground.

Got it.
HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what "theory" you are talking about. The main physics point here is that, initially, the bomb has the same horizontal speed as the plane (or its wings!) and, neglecting air resistance, maintains that horizontal speed until it hites the ground.

1. What is "Bombing from an aeroplane"?

"Bombing from an aeroplane" refers to the act of dropping explosives from an aircraft onto a target on the ground. This method of bombing was first used in World War I and has since become a common method of warfare.

2. How does bombing from an aeroplane work?

Bombing from an aeroplane involves loading bombs onto an aircraft and dropping them onto a designated target. The bombs are typically released from the bottom of the aircraft and can be guided by a bomb sight or released in a cluster to cover a larger area.

3. What types of bombs are used for bombing from an aeroplane?

There are various types of bombs that can be used for bombing from an aeroplane, including high-explosive bombs, incendiary bombs, cluster bombs, and guided bombs. The type of bomb used depends on the specific target and objectives of the mission.

4. What are the main advantages of bombing from an aeroplane?

The main advantages of bombing from an aeroplane include the ability to cover a large area quickly, the element of surprise, and the ability to reach targets that may be difficult to access on the ground. It also allows for precision targeting and can be used for both strategic and tactical purposes.

5. What are the potential consequences of bombing from an aeroplane?

Bombing from an aeroplane can have devastating consequences, including civilian casualties, destruction of infrastructure, and long-term environmental impacts. It can also lead to retaliation and escalation of conflicts. Therefore, it is important for this method of warfare to be used responsibly and within the boundaries of international laws and regulations.