1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bombing from an aeroplane

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bomb is dropped from a plane flying horizontally with uniform speed. Show that the bomb will explode vertically below the plane.

Is the statement true if the plane flies with uniform speed but not horizontally?

2. Relevant equations
    Equations of projectile perhaps

3. The attempt at a solution
    Clearly, if I imagine a bomb being thrown from the front of the airplane, then I would think that this statement is relevant, don't have any idea about the consequences when the bomb will be dropped from the wings to which it is usually being attached...

Theory wise, ????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I guess you can safely assume both plane and bomb to be points.

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    Then what about the theory part, I can only imagine those situations- to convert them into paper is somewhat difficult

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what "theory" you are talking about. The main physics point here is that, initially, the bomb has the same horizontal speed as the plane (or its wings!) and, neglecting air resistance, maintains that horizontal speed until it hites the ground.

6. Nov 22, 2012 #5
    Got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook