Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bombs in London

1. Jul 7, 2005 #1

Art

London is now the latest victim of what appears to be suicide bombers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2005 #2
    Any idea who the terrorists were or why the attacks happened?
    There was a terrorist attack in india a couple of days ago

4. Jul 7, 2005 #3

Art

Very few facts available yet though it seems there were at least 6 separate blasts (3 on busses and 3 on tube trains) timed to coincide with the start of the G8 summit. There are fatalities but no indication at all yet of how many. Eyewitnesses say the busses were packed so it doesn't look good.
    What happened in India. I haven't heard of that attack over here.

5. Jul 7, 2005 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but not of this magnitutde. The initial suspects appear to be Al-Qaeda. BBC says there are a number casualties and that the Underground and buses were attacked.

6. Jul 7, 2005 #5
    CNN says at least two people are dead

marlon

7. Jul 7, 2005 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jul 7, 2005 #7

Art

From Sky News

9. Jul 7, 2005 #8
    Tony Blair says he will skip the G8 to go and be in London.

10. Jul 7, 2005 #9
    Yep, he's out of there. Latest is six confirmed dead, 9 suspected. I imagine those figures are going up a fair bit. There are still people trapped in the underground.

11. Jul 7, 2005 #10
    Attacking the transit, just reeks of Madrid.
    May I add, that the London emergency crews are really doing a great job. Their practise, has paid off. What a nightmare, for such a fine city.

12. Jul 7, 2005 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It's not clear that it is suicide bombers. Possibly, it is the result of bombs planted, as in Madrid. This is irrelevant at the moment - the net effect is the same regardless - innocent people have been killed or injured. :cry:

13. Jul 7, 2005 #12
    I don't really know how to say this - I just want to express my empathy with people living through these terrible events. This act demonstrates the futility of senseless, ill-informed acts of sectarian violence and the damage that can result from such actions.

It is obvious that whichever group is responsible is acting on the basis of a flawed analysis: how can such acts possibly achieve their aims? All this violence is likely to achieve is to alienate ordinary British people and to result in tighter security regulations (that will impinge on domestic rights to privacy even further). Targetting civilians in politically motivated action is counter-productive (whatever the position of their country's leaders on this issue) - but an awareness of this fact depends on an in-depth knowledge of who/what 'the enemy' is (certainly not ordinary people) and a logical analysis of what action is required to change things.

This is precisely why it is important to study a situation and analyse it fully before taking any action.

14. Jul 7, 2005 #13
    I wish I could agree with you. Unfortunately, their aims are to cause terror and death, and they have achieved it.

15. Jul 7, 2005 #14
    echo........

16. Jul 7, 2005 #15
    You're probably right, El Hombre - perhaps it's 'revenge' motivated. If their aim was to further the cause of justice and to bring about real change, it would have been ill-conceived. Again, though, this is an indication to me that they have not thought things through properly. Revenge is not something one should be aiming for - change is.

17. Jul 7, 2005 #16
    Yes, but this approach will be seen as ineffective in the end. It will only lend credibility to the argument that Islamic fundamentalism cannot be reasoned with - it will result in the hammer being dropped on the fundamentalists with even more fury. Eventually global sympathy for the Islamic fundamentalists will turn into disgust, as in the case of the Chechnyan terrorists bombing that Russian school.

18. Jul 7, 2005 #17
    Yes, q - this is exactly what I meant. Thanks for elaborating...

19. Jul 7, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yes, indeed!

A very rational analysis indeed. However, terrorists are not rational. They are blinded by hatred.

Unfortunately for most, a rational discussion is not feasible at the moment given the raw emotions being experienced.

20. Jul 7, 2005 #19
    then we agree on at least one thing :smile:

21. Jul 7, 2005 #20
    Their stated intent (if the group claiming responsibility is legitimately responsible) was to have troops withdrawn from Iraq.

They claimed they warned london to withdraw troops, and that therefore God forgives their actions.

They threaten that they are warning 2 other countries also.

I completely agree with Alexandra - this action will not inspire the removal of troops from Iraq.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?