1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bond angle comparison in sp2 hybridised carbon atoms

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This was a question on an exam I took a week ago in inorganic chemistry. The problem statement was like: "We have two molecules, H2CCH2 (ethene) and F2CCF2 (1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethene). Which bond angle is greater? H-C-H in ethene or F-C-F in 1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethene?"

2. Relevant equations

None..

3. The attempt at a solution

I was quick to answer that the bond angle will be greater in F-C-F. There is a double C=C bond in both molecules which would tend to cause both angles to be slightly less than 120 degrees. However, since the F atoms have a larger electron cloud, the repulsion etween the two F atoms will be greater than the repulsion between two H atoms, so the F-C-F angle will be greater than the H-C-H angle. The problem is, I searched for experimental data and found that the opposite is the case.. Wikipedia says 117.4 degrees for H-C-H and here http://cccbdb.nist.gov/exp2.asp?casno=116143 the experimental value for F-C-F is 112.4 degrees. So does it turn out that I am wrong? Why? Do the double bond electrons come into play?

Thanks for your time people :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted