Bond enthalpy periodic trend?

Is there a period trend for bond enthalpy? Specifically Atom-Hydrogen bonds. Need to find a trend in predicting the bond enthalpy of several atom-hydrogen bonds I calculated using gaussian.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Answers and Replies

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Need to find a trend in predicting the bond enthalpy of several atom-hydrogen bonds I calculated using gaussian.
If you calculated the bond enthalpies, wouldn't you be in a better position to tell us the trend, rather than us telling you?

If you calculated the bond enthalpies, wouldn't you be in a better position to tell us the trend, rather than us telling you?
I just wondered if there was supposed to be a trend since they don't appear to follow any pattern.

Try this table. https://labs.chem.ucsb.edu/zakarian/armen/11---bonddissociationenergy.pdf

For maingroup elements, E-H BDE's are fairly predictable: decrease down the periodic table, and increase across the periodic table.
For transition metals, M-H BDE's increase down the periodic table (1st < 2nd < 3rd). There's not really a clear trend across the periodic table.