1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bond Order

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to find the bond order from a molecular orbital diagram.

For example i found one on this website

"Comparison of the above energy level diagram wit hthat for nitrogen - you can see that the 2sg level lies lower than pu. Here, we are starting to fill the anti-bonding orbitals originating from the p orbital interactions and so the bond order decreases from three to two."

CAN someone give a quick explanantion.. thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2
    Well first off do you know what bond order is? If you do then show some work so we can help you out, but we're not here to do your work for you. But we will help if you put some effort into the question
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    What work are you talking about? if u read there is no work/assignment/homework on this. I can go read my textbook but i thought it would be easier if someone can explain it more generally first. I just found a random picture of a molecular orbital as u can see bond order is 2. I have no question to do that says use this and find the bond order :grumpy: I just wanted to know generally how to do it, anyways..
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4
    maybe you should go read your textbook first then come back and ask some questions rather than asking someone to explain it to you

also, this is posted under the HOMEWORK section ... what did you think was going to happen?
  6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    actually it was MOVED here for some reason and was not originally posted here. Anyways its fine ill go read :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?