Can ultracapacitors be used to split CO2 into carbon and oxygen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the bonding energies of different compounds, specifically carbon dioxide (CO2) and the energy required to split it into carbon and oxygen. The initial procedure used to calculate the required temperature for splitting CO2 is found to be incorrect, as it yields an unreasonable figure. The correct procedure involves calculating the thermal energy needed to break the bonds in the molecules, which is found to be very high for CO2. The possibility of splitting CO2 using ultracapacitors is also considered, but this is found to be unlikely due to the molecule's neutral and slightly polar nature. The conversation also briefly mentions the potential of using photosynthesis to break down CO2.
PlanetGazer8350
I have been researching on the bonding energies of different compounds, and for example, for CO2 it is 1600kJ/mole, 1600kJ/44g, or ~36.37kJ/g of energy required to split the carbon dioxide into carbon and oxygen. Furthermore, I transformed the amount of energy required in kJ to degrees celsius, and got 845.2 Cº for splitting 44g (or 1 mole), or 19.15 Cº for splitting 1 gram of CO2. However, the latter figure, as you may have noticed, is clearly absurd, as you logically cannot split 1 gram of CO2 with such a relatively low temperature.

I clearly understand that I am following the wrong procedure, although it seems the logical one at first, until, of course you arrive at an unreasonable figure. How should I find the required temperature for splitting a certain quantity of a compound? Also, why is my procedure wrong, and what have I not understood correctly?

Finally, I have also considered using a set of ultracapacitors connected together as an option to splitting CO2, (already having considered the amount of ultracapacitors needed): for example, to achieve an energy of ~36.37kJ (to split 1 gram of CO2) I would need 20 ultracapacitors with (individually) a voltage of 2.7V and capacitance of 500 farads. Would it be possible to split CO2 using ultracapacitors, or is this procedure also wrong, and why?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
1600 kJ/mole is ## 1.6 \cdot 10^6 \,J/(6.02 \cdot 10^{23})= 2.7 \cdot 10^{-18} \, J/ ##molecule. This will only be approximate, but with ## k_B=1.38 \cdot 10^{-23} \, J/K ##, the temperature ## T \approx 2 \cdot 10^5 ## to separate the ## CO_2 ## molecule into atoms by thermal means. ## \\ ## And putting the molecule into a strong electric field, such as between capacitor plates is not likely to separate it into components. The ## CO_2## molecule is electrically neutral and only slightly polar. It would not be affected appreciably by the voltage from two capacitor plates.

Last edited:
However, if the CO2 was pressurized and turned into liquid, adding an electrolyte, would it be possible to split the CO2 into its components?

Edit: is the temperature (T): 2·105 the temperature required to split 1 molecule of CO2, in degrees kelvin? In addition, I now understand that your procedure is the correct one, but why exactly is my procedure wrong, (1600kJ/44g to get energy for 1 gram and then transform ~36.37kJ to celsius: 19.15 cº (which I know is wrong)), as it seems the most logical & proper one at first hand, and how to avoid these type of procedures on other concepts?

Last edited:
The calculation shows energy ## E=2.7 \cdot 10^{-18} ## Joules/molecule. At a temperature of ## T=200,000 \, K ##, thermal energy will break most of the bonds in these molecules. That is only an approximate calculation, and each of the bond energies will actually be 1/2 of what I used above. This is only approximate, but it basically says that ## CO_2 ## is a very stable molecule. One way of getting ## O_2 ## in a process with ## CO_2 ## is by photosynthesis: ## CO_2+H_2 O \rightarrow CH_2O+O_2 ##. There have recently been attempts to do this process artificially, but it hasn't yet been achieved on a large scale. See e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/breaking-down-carbon-dioxide.916913/#post-5778727

What is bonding energy in compounds?

Bonding energy in compounds refers to the amount of energy required to break the bonds between atoms in a chemical compound. It is a measure of the strength of the bond between atoms.

How is bonding energy related to the stability of a compound?

The higher the bonding energy in a compound, the more stable it is. This is because stronger bonds are more difficult to break, making it harder for the compound to undergo chemical reactions.

What factors affect bonding energy in compounds?

The type of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the presence of any external forces such as temperature and pressure can all affect the bonding energy in compounds.

How is bonding energy measured?

Bonding energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV). It can be experimentally determined using techniques such as calorimetry and spectroscopy.

Can bonding energy be used to predict the properties of a compound?

Yes, bonding energy can provide insight into the properties of a compound, such as its melting and boiling points, solubility, and reactivity. Compounds with higher bonding energy tend to have higher melting and boiling points, and are less likely to undergo chemical reactions.