Bonding lead(pb) to Inconel

Main Question or Discussion Point

I need to bond lead to Inconel? Is this possible? One method I thought about trying is to bond a second metal to the Inconel then bond the Lead(pb) to that> But what would be the steps fluxs and the like?

Answers and Replies

Specifically, is that lead or lead-tin solder you with to bond?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I need to bond lead to Inconel? Is this possible? One method I thought about trying is to bond a second metal to the Inconel then bond the Lead(pb) to that> But what would be the steps fluxes and the like?
What is one attempting to do. Normally for a good joint/bond, one brazes Inconel with a NiCr-based braze.

Which type of Inconel is one using?

The door is 1/2 thick Inconel plate, the final surface is to be Lead(pb) but the intermediate material is not speced. The normal process is to grind a clean surface on the ferrous metal then apply a lead bearing flux, usually a mixture that includes zinc and copper heat till glossy then wipe clean. Then apply lead directly onto the tinned surface. as to what grade of inconel I am clueless except that it was speced for heat and low concentration sulpheric acid and mercury and chlorine. Nasty mix huh. The lead will act as a replaceable wear surface.
I believe it is Inconel 625.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What is operating temperature of the interface between Pb and Inconel?

Is the Pb liner thin - e.g., on the order of mm's?

during application unknown, during operation about 400 F 3 to 5 mm we can apply in liquid form if need be.

http://www.masterbond.com/php_news_release.html?nrfile=su46ht-2 [Broken]

Would a high temp epoxy work for you? If this one is not suitable, perhaps they have another formulation that would work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like to do the metallurgical route if at all possible. Even if several steps are involved.