Why is an oxide layer needed when bonding aluminium alloys?

In summary, when bonding aluminium alloys, an oxide layer is needed between the substrate and the adhesive for protection against corrosion. This oxide layer can be naturally formed or enhanced through anodizing or etching with phosphoric acid. The oxide layer also helps with adhesion of organic coatings and protects the metal substrate. There is no need for a primer in the bonding process, with the steps being sanding, etching, washing, and then applying the adhesive. The "wait" stage is important for allowing the oxide layer to form.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

When bonding aluminium alloys, an oxide layer is needed between (I think) the substrate and the adhesive.

Why?

And does this oxide layer have to be supplied by some kind of primer, or is a natural oxide film acceptable? Does anyone know what chemical purpose the primer provides, or is this still an industry secret?

Cheers

xxx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aluminium has very high resistance against corrosion because it develops an adherent, relatively impervious oxide layer. When aluminium is produced it is spontaneously covered by a thin but effective coating of oxide which protects the aluminium from further oxidation. If the coating of oxide is damaged mechanically this coating will be renewed immediately.

This is similar to stainless steel in which a thin layer of oxides of Ni and Cr protect the underlying Fe-based steel metal.

The industrial process most often used for oxidation of Al is Anodising (US - Anodizing). Anodising is a surface treatment which is used to give the aluminium product additional protection against corrosion, decorative surfaces with resistant colour and gloss, electrical insulating surfaces or foundations for gluing or painting. Anodising is an electro-chemical process that strengthens the natural oxide shift. Similar process is use to Ti-based alloys.

The oxide layer is generally rougher, and I believe organic coatings adhere better to the oxide layer. The oxide layer also protects the Al-metal substrate if the coating is damaged.

With respect to inorganic coatings, the oxide layer may also prevent undesirable impurities from diffusing into the Al metal. (I am speculating here).

I've used West System Epoxy for aluminium bonding. They recommend and specifically sell an Aluminium Etch Kit for preparing the aluminium surfaces before applying the epoxy. The main component of this is phosphoric acid, which is also the primary component of the PAN wet etch solution for aluminium. So, I suspect what this does is it provides a clean, fresh surface, which in turn helps the oxide adhere better to the metal. And if your adhesive is strong, then the weak link may be the adhesion of the oxide to the metal.

Last edited:
Cheers you two.

Gokul, this kit you use, aside from the etching (I presume once you've polished and etched your substrate you wash off those nasty etchy chemicals) are you supposed to provide a primer before you apply the adhesive itself?

brewnog said:
Cheers you two.

Gokul, this kit you use, aside from the etching (I presume once you've polished and etched your substrate you wash off those nasty etchy chemicals) are you supposed to provide a primer before you apply the adhesive itself?

No, I don't believe there's a primer involved.

The procedure is :sand -> etch -> wash -> wait -> glue away !

Last edited:
Interesting, I guess it's the "wait" stage which allows the oxide to form. Is the length of this "wait" critical?

1. What is the purpose of bonding aluminium alloys?

The purpose of bonding aluminium alloys is to join two or more pieces of aluminium together in a strong and permanent manner. This is often done to create complex shapes or structures that cannot be achieved through traditional methods such as welding or mechanical fastening.

2. What are the benefits of using bonding for aluminium alloys?

Bonding of aluminium alloys offers several benefits, including increased strength and durability, improved corrosion resistance, and the ability to join dissimilar materials. It also allows for more design flexibility and can reduce the weight of the final product.

3. What types of adhesives are commonly used for bonding aluminium alloys?

The most commonly used adhesives for bonding aluminium alloys are epoxy, acrylic, and polyurethane. These adhesives have high strength and good bonding properties for aluminium surfaces. Specialized adhesives, such as anaerobic adhesives, can also be used for specific applications.

4. How is the bonding process for aluminium alloys carried out?

The bonding process for aluminium alloys typically involves surface preparation, application of the adhesive, and curing. Surface preparation is crucial to ensure a clean and rough surface for optimal bonding. The adhesive is then applied and the parts are clamped together until the adhesive cures, which can range from a few minutes to several hours depending on the type of adhesive used.

5. What are some common applications of bonded aluminium alloys?

Bonding of aluminium alloys has a wide range of applications, including in the aerospace, automotive, and construction industries. It is commonly used to manufacture aircraft structures, automotive body panels, and building facades. Bonding can also be used for small-scale applications such as electronics and consumer products.