1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bonding of diamond

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,
    there are 2 pictures in the above,pic 2 shows a diamond in rectangular shape.
    pic 1 shows the 3D structure of that diamond at a corner of it.
    As we know,diamond has a giant covalent structure,which means atoms in it are linked together by covalent bonds only.
    Now,please see the pink circle,3 electrons of that carbon atom are covalently bonded to 3 other carbon atoms.
    Each carbon atom has 4 outermost electrons.Where is the remaining electron?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Is it forming a covalent bond with another element?(e.g.oxygen in the air)
    If not,it should be reactive due to the unbonded electron but in fact diamond is unreactive.
    From the above deduction,there is no diamond with 100% purity(i.e.no impurities)?

just a guess :)

Please help,thx :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

There is nothing with 100% purity. You can approach to one, like 99.9999....%, but no 100%.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3
    I don't remember much chemistry, but I have done some programming imaging various 2D / 3D tilings & 3D / 4D lattices as Pascal's Triangle like structures. A suppositional electron?

https://sites.google.com/site/pascalloids/home

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook