Bonds in Diborane: Exploring Hybridization

• Thread starter Acut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonds
In summary, the boron atom in diborane forms four hybrid sp3 orbitals, two of which are used in bonding with terminal hydrogen atoms. The remaining hybrid orbitals overlap with the 1s orbitals of two hydrogen atoms to form three-centered molecular orbitals. This hybridization allows for the formation of three bonds, with the possibility of accepting a bonding pair from another atom.
Acut
I was reading about the chemistry of diborane, and there's something puzzling me. John B. Russell, in his "General Chemistry" book states that the boron atom in the diborane "uses all its orbitals in the valence shell forming four hybrid sp3 orbitals, two of which will be used in the bonding with the terminal H atoms, in conventional two centered bonds. The four remaining hybrid orbitals (two from each boron) will superpose to the 1s orbitals of two H atoms to form three-centered molecular orbitals" (my translation)

I was wondering how it is possible for those bonds to be made. In the ground state, each boron atom should have the following configuration:

[itex]\uparrow\downarrow[/itex][itex]\uparrow[/itex]
2s2px

When excited, the configuration will be
[itex]\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]
2s2px2py2pz

(it is supposed to be one up arrow for each 2s, 2px and 2py orbital and an empty 2pz)
And it will hybridize:
[itex]\uparrow\uparrow\uparrow[/itex]
sp3

(sorry, I don't know how to format this properly with tex)

I can't see how this sp3 hybridization explains the bonds. The configurations I got suggest that boron would make 3 simple bonds and still accept a lone pair from another atom (if it is supposed to complete the octet) or it would form three simple bonds only (if an incomplete octet is enough to make it stable). Where am I getting wrong? How can hybridization be used in this case?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Acut said:
The configurations I got suggest that boron would make 3 simple bonds and still accept a lone pair from another atom (if it is supposed to complete the octet)
Yes, you can look at it that way. Only that here it does not accept a lone pair but a bonding pair from a hydrogen from the other BH3 unit.

What is diborane?

Diborane is a chemical compound with the formula B2H6. It is a colorless, highly flammable gas with a repulsive odor. It is commonly used in the production of high-purity boron, as a reducing agent, and as a rocket fuel.

What is the hybridization in diborane?

The hybridization in diborane is sp3 hybridization. This means that each boron atom is bonded to four other atoms, resulting in a tetrahedral shape. The hybridization allows for the formation of four bonding orbitals and two non-bonding orbitals.

What is the importance of hybridization in diborane?

Hybridization plays a crucial role in the stability and reactivity of diborane. The sp3 hybridization allows for the formation of strong covalent bonds between the boron atoms and hydrogen atoms, making diborane a useful reagent in organic synthesis.

How does hybridization affect the bond lengths in diborane?

The sp3 hybridization in diborane results in equal bond lengths between the boron and hydrogen atoms. This is because all four bonding orbitals have the same energy and therefore contribute equally to the bonding in the molecule.

What other factors can influence the bond lengths in diborane?

Aside from hybridization, the bond lengths in diborane can also be influenced by the electronegativity of the atoms involved and the presence of lone pairs on the boron atoms. These factors can cause slight deviations from the ideal bond lengths predicted by hybridization theory.