Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bonds in moleculs

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    Bonds in molecules

What is the meaning of the bonds σ and π in molecules quantum mechanically?

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Consider a molecular orbital in a diatomic molecule. The projection of the angular momentum of an electron in that orbital on the internuclear axis is designated by the quantum number ##\lambda##. In analogy with hydrogenic orbitals, the value of this quantum number is expressed with a letter according to
    $$
    | \lambda | = 0 \Rightarrow \sigma \\
    | \lambda | = 1 \Rightarrow \pi \\
    | \lambda | = 2 \Rightarrow \delta \\
    \vdots
    $$
    (note the absolute value, as the projection can be positive or negative).

For polyatomic molecules, a similar concept is applied in LCAO-MO theory where the molecular orbitals are built two atoms at a time.

An easy way to identify the value of ##| \lambda |## is to look along the bond and count the number of nodal planes. A ##\sigma## bond will look circular, a ##\pi## bond will be in the shape of a 8, similar to a p orbital in an atom.

4. May 4, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much. I like to know how to calculate angular momentum in molecular orbitals. Could you please give me a reference for that?

5. May 4, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Landau Lifgarbagez, Quantum Mechanics, has a good discussion of the states of diatomic molecules apt for physicists.

6. May 4, 2013 #5
    Thank you. I will get it.

7. May 5, 2013 #6
    Read also: Enrico Fermi "Molecules, Crystals and Quantum Statistics".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook