Bone Stimulator

• Thread starter SF
  • Start date
SF
Is there such a thing as bone repair stimulation through EM fields?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Years ago, the belief was that electric blankets were harmful for bones because of the EM fields created (and then electric blanket designs were changed to use paired wire configurations to cancel out the EM fields), now these guys are claiming it's beneficial. :rolleyes: I'm not sure if EITHER claim was/is credible.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know that bone growth stimulators are used in medicine, but that relies on the flow of electrical current, not EM.

Ahh, but you see, if you had made a loop of say copper wire or something inside the bone, then applied a time-variant magnetic field, you'd get current in the wire!

Oh, yeah, umm... I wouldn't get an MRI after that point, though.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ahh, but you see, if you had made a loop of say copper wire or something inside the bone, then applied a time-variant magnetic field, you'd get current in the wire!

Oh, yeah, umm... I wouldn't get an MRI after that point, though.
Yes, induced currents do come to mind, but one would expect the currents to be far too small since most people don't have a copper wire inside their bones.

Tsu
Gold Member
Here is some info from the University of Oregon. Ivan's mom had back surgery at UCSF over a year ago and her doctor prescribed one for her to help speed the repair caused by numerous back surgeries. Not the most comfortable of devices, but the neuro guys at UCSF say they help....