1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bone structure question

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

This is a bit of a bizarre question, but:

If some way, some how, the moon crashed into Earth... then (oh so many) years later humanoid life appeared, what might its bone structure be like in contrast to ours?

That is all

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

There's no reason to think that it would be any different on a very basic level, since we evolved to match our environment and the moon crash thing wouldn't change things as much as living on a different planet would. There would still be vertebrates, invertebrates, plants, fungi, etc. and any one of them could end up being an intelligent and therefore dominant species.
    Lest you think that I wasn't paying attention, the term "humanoid" to me indicates a shape rather than a structure.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Moon's mass is only 1.2% of the Earth's mass. Why should there be any significant changes to the bone structure?

5. Nov 27, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I think that he's going for the "mass extinction—repopulation" scenario. You have to admit that a lunar impact would to a large extent bugger up our environment.

6. Nov 28, 2014 #5
    Thanks Danger for the great response!

So... the change of the shape (sorry, wrong terminology on my part there) of the life forms would be pretty much the same, that's super good to know.

There would be much less tidal activity also... What possible things might happen to undersea life?

again thank you so very much

7. Nov 28, 2014 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe our ancestors would have never made it out of the water, if they had not stranded during a low tide one day. Thanks Mr. Moon!

8. Nov 28, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Well, tides wouldn't completely disappear. Solar gravity and Earth's axial tilt also contribute.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook