Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bone to pick

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1
    this is the best message center on the internet!!

now, (here it comes), i gotta bone to pick. i type fast and poorly, i also did not pay attention in grammar school about the rules for spelling.

WHY DON'T WE HAVE A SPELL CHECKER????????

honest injun(hope i'm not un-pc), i'd trade smilies for a spell check.

thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2

Eh

Why care about spelling, if you don't care about punctuation?

4. Jan 6, 2004 #3
    Or you could type what you want in MSword or another program like that, then just transfer it over. Overall I don't think that anyone will care about your spelling if it's understandable. This isn't www.grammerforums.com[/url] or [PLAIN]www.spellingforums.com. [Broken] I would have to say that when the ideas are flowing faster than you can properly type, than just get them out, then sort out the rest later.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  5. Jan 6, 2004 #4
    Olde Drunk,

Check this out:

http://www.iespell.com/

This is a great piece of software for spell checking text on web pages. Works great for forums, blogs and any other place were text is entered on a web page. It's free.

I should also mention that iespell works with Internet Explorer or any browser which uses IE's core files. MSN, AOL, Slimbrowser, etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  6. Jan 6, 2004 #5
    thank you jimmy!

preciate!

7. Jan 6, 2004 #6
    There are some forums based on vbulletin with spell checker. But most of the time people don't use it, such as good spellers like me :smile:

The spell checker feature would be nifty, but you can always go to http://www.dictionary.com if you're unsure of spelling.

8. Jan 6, 2004 #7
    Spell checkers might seem like a lazy man's way. In the long run, however, they have helped me improve my spelling. Plus it's easy to miss mistakes; especially in longer posts.

Now grammer is a different story. I haven't found a grammer checker that I like. They always end up mangling my sentences. I haven't tried one in a long time so they might have gotten better.

You're welcome. :smile:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  9. Jan 7, 2004 #8
    I would suggest Jimmy's link, I use it often and would recommend it. The reason there isn't a spell checker is that they are often very server intensive.

10. Jan 7, 2004 #9

Njorl

Science Advisor

Have you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? I'm considering getting it.

Njorl

11. Jan 7, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you SERIOUS??

no way :wink:

12. Jan 8, 2004 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

YEAH!!! WHAT THE HECK'S THE MATTER WITH YOU ANYWAY???
    DID YA GET SMACKED UPSIDE THE HEAD OR SOMETHING??? :frown:
    HOW IN THE WORLD CAN WE TALK WITHOUT THE SMILIES??? [?] HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF I WAS REALLY TICKED OFF AT YOU OR JUST HAVING FUN AND FLICKIN' YA S**T IF I DIDN'T ALSO FLING A BUNCH OF THESE AT YA???

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE SMILIES AWAY!! [b(] LIFE IS AN EXCLAMATION POINT AND THESE ARE MINE!!!:wink:

13. Jan 12, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wats rong wit usin Macrosof Werd?

Jist copey and paest.

I doo it al the tiem.

14. Jan 12, 2004 #13
    Spelling counts?? HUH??? since when? what do we lose post count points? or what? C'est Qua ca? hoooboy I had enough problem in HS with spelling in French, and now you want what in english? take out the smilies no! <-- Like this guy, lots!

15. Jan 27, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

lol, Ivan you make me laugh...ur added to the list on favourite posters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook