Bono from U2 on Meet the Press: African aid

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Bono, lead singer of U2, appeared on Meet The Press and impressed with his level-headedness and diplomatic approach. He is advocating for an African aid program and his efforts have led to the U.S. and England agreeing to provide $600 million in aid. Despite the commonality of celebrities backing causes, Bono stands out for his dedication and activism. He also thanked his audience for supporting U2 and putting on an outstanding show.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bono [Paul Hewson] from the Irish rock group U2, was on Meet The Press this morning. This guy handles himself extremely well. He has a vision and seemingly a very level headed approach to things. Really, as a first impression, he strikes me as a natural diplomat. You might be interested in the African aid program that he's representing. You can also read the interview with Rumsfeld [if you can stand it].
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

Edit: Somebody does need to tell Bono to sit up straight. He was constantly leaning his head to the right, which about made me fall over. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect Bono's role in advocating help for Africa was instrumental in the U.S. and England agreeing to provide $600M in aid. He had been active on this topic/cause for almost a year. You have to tip your hat to him on his efforts and dedication to solving this problem.

Yes, and celebrity backed causes are now a cliche. But as you indicated, I also suspect that Hewson stands head and shoulders above the crowd.

Edit: Of course, :rolleyes: , the fact that he was on Meet the Press is a bit of a give away I guess. :redface:

McGyver said:
You have to tip your hat to him on his efforts and dedication to solving this problem.
What problem?

I totally admire Bono for his activism in making our world a better place, and of course the music he makes with U2. I had the privilege of seeing U2 in concert a few years ago, and he thanked us, the audience, for paying the outrageous fees that the ticket company tacks on to see them live. They put on an outstanding show, one that even a non-fan could appreciate.

1. Who is Bono and why was he on Meet the Press?

Bono is a popular Irish musician and activist, best known as the lead singer of the rock band U2. He was on Meet the Press to discuss the issue of African aid and the work he has been doing through his organization, ONE, to fight poverty and disease in Africa.

2. What is Bono's connection to African aid?

Bono has been a vocal advocate for increased aid and support to African countries for many years. He has traveled extensively to Africa and has used his platform as a celebrity to raise awareness about the issues facing the continent.

3. What did Bono say about African aid on Meet the Press?

Bono emphasized the importance of continued aid and investment in African countries, particularly in the areas of health and education. He also discussed the progress that has been made, but stressed that there is still a long way to go in order to achieve sustainable development in Africa.

4. How has Bono's organization, ONE, contributed to African aid efforts?

ONE is a global advocacy organization that works to end extreme poverty and preventable diseases, particularly in Africa. The organization has been successful in influencing policy changes and securing funding for aid programs in African countries.

5. What can individuals do to support African aid efforts?

Bono encouraged viewers to educate themselves about the issues facing Africa and to support organizations like ONE that are working towards positive change. He also stressed the importance of holding governments accountable for their promises to provide aid and support to African countries.