Master the Bonus Physics Problem with Integration | 1000 kg Boat Case Study

• Thread starter Tony Zalles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Tony ZallesIn summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a boat and frictional force. The bonus problem requires the use of integration, which has not been covered yet. The problem is to find the time required for the boat to slow down from 90 km/h to 45 km/h. The frictional force is proportional to the speed of the boat and is given by f(k) = 70v. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem and the confusion around the values of v and C in the integration process. The correct answer to the problem is 9.9 seconds.
Tony Zalles
Yea well I've run into this bonus physics problem that's really hard.

Ok first off the reason its bonus is cause it involves using integration (which we haven't covered yet)

But our teacher says that's what makes it a bonus problem.

Ok here is the problem.

A 1000 kg boat is traveling at 90 km/h where its engine is shut off. The magnitude of the frictional force f(k) between boat and water is proportional to the speed v of the boat: f(k) = 70v, where v is in meters per second and f(k) is in Newtons. Find the time required for the boat to slow down to 45 km/h.

1000 kg - boat
90 km/h - 25 m/s
45 km/h - 12.5 m/s

f(k) = 70v

a = dv/dt

f(k) = ma
f = (1000 kg)(dv/dt)

Integration Rule.

f(V) = V^X -> f(V)dt = (V^X+1/X+1) + C

dt = 1000kg (70v^2/2) + C
dt = 1000 kg 35v^2 + C
dt = ?

(yea...i'm not sure where to from here...)

Um, yea. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Zalles

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, f= ma= m dv/dt. In this situation the friction force is "proportional to the speed v of the boat: f(k) = 70v"

(Actually, that should be f= -70v since the force is always opposite to the direction of motion. I wouldn't actually write "f(k)" since f depends on v, not k. This is telling you that k= 70.)

f= ma becomes -70v= 1000 dv/dt or dv/dt= -0.07v

You might try rewriting this as (1/v)dv= -0.07 dt or
v-1dv= -0.07 dt and integrating. Unfortunately, the integration rule you give: the integral of xndx= 1/(n+1)xn+1+ C doesn't work here: n= -1 so n+1= 0 and you can't divide by 0!

The formulas you have:
dt = 1000kg (70v^2/2) + C
dt = 1000 kg 35v^2 + C
aren't correct. You have the v in the denominator.
(By the way, if the v were in the numerator, you get that result by integrating on BOTH sides. You would have "t= ...", not dt.)

ehh...sorry I couldn't reply earlier.

um when I typed in f(k) I meant f subscript k, which is the coefficient of friction. Not f(k) as in, f*k.

So sorry about that secondly...um I well picked up where I left off and came down to.

.035v^2 + C = dt

But my issue here is what is v? and C?

See cause the answer to this problem (from that back of our text) is 9.9s.

I know also that dv is 12.5 m/s

and that the forces evaluated by, f(k) = 70v, at 25 m/s and 12.5 m/s, are: 1750 N and 825 N

I'm still a bit stumped...

perhaps maybe you set 70v = m(dv/dt)...but then I don't know how to resolve my constant when integrating or what to do about v, since dv is already 12.5 m/s. I don't believe then in this case dv = v.

Yea...again, sorry for the mistype earlier and any help would ofcourse be appreciated.

By the way thans for the reply hallsofivy

Thanks,

1. What is a "Bonus Physics Problem"?

A "Bonus Physics Problem" is an additional problem or question that is given to students as part of their physics studies. It is typically more challenging and requires students to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why are bonus physics problems important?

Bonus physics problems are important because they provide students with the opportunity to apply their understanding of physics concepts in a more complex and real-world scenario. They also help students to develop critical thinking skills and improve their problem-solving abilities.

3. How can I solve a bonus physics problem?

To solve a bonus physics problem, it is important to first carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, draw a diagram or make a list of the given information. Next, use appropriate equations and principles to solve the problem. Finally, check your answer to ensure it makes sense and is in the correct units.

4. Are bonus physics problems only for advanced students?

No, bonus physics problems can be beneficial for all students regardless of their level of understanding. They can challenge students and help them to deepen their understanding of the subject.

5. How can I come up with my own bonus physics problem?

To come up with your own bonus physics problem, start by choosing a concept or topic that you want to focus on. Then, think of a real-world scenario that relates to this concept. Finally, create a problem statement that incorporates the necessary information and challenges students to use their physics knowledge to solve it.