Can I offer bonus opportunities without being unfair to high-scoring students?

• Thread starter Gamma
  • Start date
In summary, allowing a second test, with the averaged score, helps to keep a cap on the scores of high scoring students.
Gamma
I am teaching a college level physics course. In one of the recent tests, some of my students did not perform well. These students requested additional work in order to raise their scores. How can I give additional work while being fair to the ones who scored well? There were couple of students who scored 100% in the same test and I don't want those students to have scores more than 100. What are some ways to boost their scores?

Note: In the past, when the entire class performed badly in a quiz, I allowed them to re-do the test and averaged the two scores.

Thanks.

Gamma

Science news on Phys.org
Tough call- personally, I do not give out bonus points/extra credit work (even though I have been asked to do so by students).

As long as the students are all treated equally- meaning everyone has the same opportunity to get bonus points, there's no real problem (IMO)- but since you set a 'cap' of 100%, you have set up a situation where some students are treated differently than others.

I only give two bonus opportunities all term (a pre-class and post-class survey about learning in science), and these are available to all students. I give 9 test equivalents (a mini exam with one weight, 2 midterms each with 2 weights, and a final worth 4 weights) and drop the lowest 2 equivalents (to allow a missed or poor midterm). I'm a little concerned about this last test -- I hope I don't have a bimodal distribution... that's the most difficult case, and what you suggest you have.

A redo (or second new test on the same material, at a given time outside class), with an averaged score, does, as you suggest, keep a cap on scores... and the high scoring students can then choose to participate in the redo or not (in our case, enjoy the sun and warm weather outside as the end of the term nears). It seems to me to be a good idea if you feel up to it. I don't think high scoring students will hold it against you, and I'm sure the low scoring students might appreciate the chance to improve scores.

What is a bonus question?

A bonus question is an additional question given on a test or exam that is worth extra points. It is usually more challenging and requires deeper understanding of the topic.

Why are bonus questions included on tests?

Bonus questions are included on tests to reward students who have a deeper understanding of the material and to encourage them to study beyond the basic requirements. It also allows for differentiation among students and helps to determine the top-performing students.

How are bonus points calculated?

Bonus points are usually added to the total score of the test or exam. The number of bonus points varies depending on the difficulty of the question. For example, a more challenging bonus question may be worth 5 points while an easier one may be worth 2 points.

Is it fair to include bonus questions on tests?

The fairness of bonus questions depends on the context in which they are used. If the bonus questions are related to the main topic and are accessible to all students, then it can be considered fair. However, if the bonus questions are unrelated to the main topic or give an unfair advantage to certain students, then it may be considered unfair.

How can teachers ensure fairness when using bonus questions?

Teachers can ensure fairness when using bonus questions by carefully selecting questions that are related to the main topic and accessible to all students. They should also consider the difficulty level of the bonus questions and ensure that they do not give an unfair advantage to certain students. Additionally, teachers can provide alternative opportunities for students to earn extra credit points if they are unable to answer bonus questions.