Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book about astrology

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could point in the direction of a book about astrology, the stuff yall talk about, that i can print out n read off of tha net. thankya for helpin!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2
    I hope you mean Astronomy and not Astrology, because one is nonsense and the other is reality based. If you meant Astronomy, we can help you, but if you meant Astrology we can’t. :biggrin:

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    lol my bad

astronomy of course man... but i am very fond of astrology... but yea, astronomy, any free books on the internet that r good for research?

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

EL

Science Advisor

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    It’s an honest mistake, a lot of people confuse the two, in fact astronomy in a way came out of astrology, and many famous astronomers were also astrologers, Johannes Kepler for example. Some chose to do astronomy as well as astrology simply because it was their main source of income, (society once had more of a need for astrology) but nowadays astronomy is recognized for its contribution to scientific understanding of the universe, and what can be said of astrology? Well it’s still as popular as ever, and I guess people still have a need for it, but no astronomer can practice both disciplines and still expect any respect from his peers.

There are some free books here

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6
  8. Nov 2, 2005 #7
    thank you

Thank You, Sirs. cool ill check those sites out. I did mix them up cause i heard either Nostradamus or someone who predicted events used both, and that back then people were well paid for their knowledge of the stars. Astrology is more like zodiac stuff n psychic cosmic n yada eh? I saw a quote a guy put on a post n it was like how twins used one half of the astro...somethin, chart each. planets and constellations give us part of our identities, its all very confusing. Anyway, yeah, thank you guys ill check it out.

9. Nov 2, 2005 #8

EL

Science Advisor

Come on DoAPoodle, you're 19 years old and you come from a civilized country. Are you actually saying you believe in astrology?

10. Nov 3, 2005 #9

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, one of the PF mentors is big into astrology. I think it's complete nonsense, but it has been discussed in great detail here:

Astrology Science Or Bull****

11. Nov 3, 2005 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I vote for complete nonsence. Causality is my mantra... it breaks down at the Planck scale, but so does everything else.

12. Nov 3, 2005 #11
    A recent book I read by Michael Shermer might put things into perspective. Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time

13. Nov 3, 2005 #12

EL

Science Advisor

OMG! I knew it was bad, but not that bad!:yuck:
    It's really scary US is dominating the world...
    (Sorry for going off topic.)

14. Nov 3, 2005 #13

EL

Science Advisor

It IS nonsense.

15. Nov 3, 2005 #14

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to butt in and agree that astrology is nonsense, may I make a plea that not all forms of religion are to be lumped together as anti-science.

BTW In my local bookshop the science section (what there was of it) was moved into the 'New Age' section, now that really is scary!

Garth

16. Nov 3, 2005 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

If you believe in 'first principles', how can you disagree with the concept of 'God'. That is what convinced me.

17. Nov 3, 2005 #16
    Im religious EL, not orthodox but liberal sorta. If you believe that we, our souls, create the events in our lives to learn from them then in my mind it's possible that astrology can be a controlled event. Pardon me, but holy hell do you guys lose me sometimes lol. I see why u cant be disciplined in both and be equally respected. Like that quote says, i believe in it because its comforting at times, though when i hear bad news in my zodiac pages i shrug it off as sum1 else's horoscope lol... but yea, astroNomy is the truth, thank yall for provin to me dat. Cant promise i wont still be interested in learning bout astrology tho, lol.

18. Nov 3, 2005 #17

EL

Science Advisor

Sure, not all. But most...:wink:

:eek:

19. Nov 3, 2005 #18

EL

Science Advisor

Could you define "first principles"?

20. Nov 3, 2005 #19
    Please do, cuz i dunno/never heard of dat

21. Nov 3, 2005 #20

EL

Science Advisor

So, to me it sounds like you're not really believing in astrology, right?:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?