1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book advice

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    Hi every one,

Happy to be back. I took a long break from PF. Proud to tell you that I have a new baby girl now.

Being a stay at home mom, I have decided to volunteer in our school system. I have already set up a meeting with the school officials regarding this. Probably I will work with high school kids.

Can any one point to some sources where I can find Highschool physics curriculum. Since I was educated overseas, (I attended graduate school in USA), I am not very familier with Highschool physics contend. Also, can you please let me know the titles of the most commenly used physics text books in schools.

Thanks so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which country?
  4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    At my high school (we follow the American system), we took a very-near-AP-level physics curriculum...

Pretty much take the AP Physics B syllabus (available for viewing at collegeboard.com), get rid of the rotational stuff, limit electrostatics to point charges, narrow fluid mechanics down to the basics (Using no more than P = Po + pgh), focus only on simple thermodynamics and ignore optics and waves, but touch the stuff on Planck's constant and E = nhf very lightly; then you have our high school college-preparatory physics course.

We used the textbook Physics: Principles and Problems by Paul W. Zitzewitz... (It's pretty light with the math-- most of the stuff is Algebra and Geometry level, with the exception being the stuff on vectors and forces)

Hope this was of atleast some help to give you a general idea.
  5. Nov 20, 2005 #4
    Physics curriculum

I am talking about high schools in USA. What are some commonly used books? Any good sites that might be helpful.

6. Nov 20, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Nov 20, 2005 #6
    Well, see the book used at my highschool for physics is probably common, but I would not suggest it. It is far to elementary and could be used in 6th grade easily.

I would say not to invest into "conceptual" physics textbooks such as "Conceptual Physics (Hewitt / Addison Wesley)" (what I have at my highschool)

"Physics (Giancoli / Prentice Hall)" seems to be a far better choice.

It all depends on what level of physics you want people to learn though I guess.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?