Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Book based discussion threads

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    These threads would be organized/archived by book.
    This would be the place for asking a question, or making a comment/point, that comes up while reading a particular math/science book.
    It is therefore quite different than, e.g., Amazon.com's book reviews.
    This would help especially those who are self-studying by reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've always liked that idea. I tried doing it a couple of times, but I've never been able to see it through until the end of the book. :(

vanesch used to run QM and QFT discussion groups based on Sakurai and Peskin and Schroeder, respectively. He did that on supertringtheory.com, IIRC. If someone wants to lead a group here, I'm all for it.

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    The way I was thinking it could work on PF would not require a leader, or to any one person to get through a book. Anyone could create a new thread for the book they wanted to raise a question on or to discuss, assuming that book did not already have a thread. As time went on, a books' thread would accumulate more questions/answers and more discussions, thus becoming more useful. Earlier posters could receive emails as the thread was updated. Rather than create a new website, much of the machinery to do this seems to already exists on PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook