1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book for Algebra I?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    I need a book to self-study, because in Physics we don't have this discipline. The only mathematics I learned were linear algebra and calculus for multivariate functions. The things I need to know are (these is my university's Algebra I):

- Integers
    - Groups, rings and fields
    - Polynomials' ring
    - Partially ordered sets

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2
    I would highly recommend a book written by a professor at the University of Calgary, who I actually have the privilege of taking Algebra I and II with, called "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra". http://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-A...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319237465&sr=1-3

It has a very good introductory section that introduces notation and any pre-requisite knowledge on Sets, Proof Techniques, Mappings, Relations, etc. before actually jumping into the content and it is highly recommended for self study. I'm sure you can find a cheaper version somewhere... that is an extremely overpriced copy listed on amazon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook